.NET

.NET

Contributor
17 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 4

Calling Civil3d code inside simple autocad.

147 Views, 3 Replies
09-09-2013 01:20 AM
Hi there.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is it practical and possible to use civil3d api classes such as tinsurface etc in simple autocad by referencing aecdbmgd.dll if the objects are not appended to a database? That is, just for doing calculations etc?

2. Would it be legal?

It might sound like a silly question, kindly take it easy wih me :smileyhappy: thanks.
Valued Mentor
388 Posts
30 Kudos
Post 2 of 4

Re: Calling Civil3d code inside simple autocad.

09-09-2013 07:10 AM in reply to: hassanhafeez33

I can't speak directly to civil3d but creating autocad objects for "internal" purposes happens often.  For example, I create lines between 2d points just to get the angle, length, midpoint, etc.  Just remember to dispose any autocad objects you create.

*Expert Elite*
5,737 Posts
501 Kudos
Post 3 of 4

09-09-2013 07:25 AM in reply to: hassanhafeez33

Since it would need to be loaded to be used, and needs a license to be loaded, and you have zero idea what kind of interdependancies are going to rear their ugly heads... just use Civil3D.  Alternatively, you can code a simplified version using specifically what you need without being constrained by the Civil3D data types and work processes.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Contributor
17 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 4 of 4

09-09-2013 09:08 AM in reply to: hassanhafeez33
1. Fieldguy, i am familiar with what youre talking about. And i do similar stuff. However,
2. Dgorsman, i am aware of the implications. But theres a limit to what i can mimic with my code. I have created several algorithms to do calculations for a tinsurface. Triangulation and all that. But i cant seem to get everything right. I have also tried kean's blog example by triangulating a polyface mesh and using exploded 3d faces. My point is, the way i can reference acad entities in other applications, is it possible to do something similar for tinsurface object from civil3d?
3. Using civil 3d nullifies my aim for writing a program for tinaurface calcs. Considering civil3d products fees and the ease with which i can work inside civil3d. I hope you know what i mean.
4. Theres a computational geometry library cgal. But my c++ is very rusty and i cant even seem to be able to compile it. Kindly take a look if you can.

Thanks a lot for your time though. Id appreciate any ideas.
Regards,
hassan.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post