Did you mean: 

C# Equivalent of MyEntityType::desc()?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jason.teagle
491 Views, 2 Replies

C# Equivalent of MyEntityType::desc()?

Sorry for the rather basic question but I'm coming from the ObjectARX side and now trying to get some code going in C#. I've got the DLL / NETLOAD mechanism working just fine, so I can get AutoCAD to execute my custom commands.

What I'm struggling with is trying to make a list of either entity types (Type class) or class types (RXClass class). I would like to pass a list of such types to another method. Although I can declare a List<Type> or List<RXClass> with no problems, I can't add the types I want to it.

In ObjectARX I would use MyEntityType::desc() to get an AcRxClass pointer that I could use. I've tried Type.GetType("Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.Entity", true) or just Type.GetType("Entity", true) but both throw the exception "Could not load bla bla bla from Assembly XXX". What bothers me is that XXX is *my* DLL's name... it seems to think they are types defined by me. I'm trying to get the type or class of AutoCAD's own entities (Line, Circle, or the more generic Entity in this case).

I don't see why I should have to have / create an actual object of the desired type just to get hold of that type - MyEntityType::desc() doesn't require an actual object of that type, so I was hoping for a C# equivalent.

Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jeff
in reply to: jason.teagle

How about ? ?

RXClass.GetClass(typeof(Entity));

You can also find your answers @ TheSwamp
Message 3 of 3
jason.teagle
in reply to: jeff

Ahhhhhh... brilliant! Thank you so much. That was driving me bonkers! I didn't know about typeof() (I've not done much C#... obviously)... you can bet I'll remember that one in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost