Block Reference question.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
wowens63
616 Views, 12 Replies

Block Reference question.

1. first I have a drawing called "test1"

2. and a drawing call "Dwg1" Inside this drawing is a block called "Block1"

3. now after I insert Drawing "Dwg1" into drawing "test1" I explode it then I save and close the drawing test1.

4. now I run this code on drawing Test1 and it gives me a block count of 2 for block "Block1"
   but there is only one block Reference in the drawing called "Block1"
   yes I know when I inserted the Drawing "dwg1" is comes in as a block called "dwg1" and inside that Block is a   block called "block1"

now my code count the block1 that is inside the drawing/block called "dwg1 Even though i exploded the drawing/block "dwg1"

my question is Even though i exploded the Drawing/block "dwg1" why does "block1" that was inside Drawing/block "dwg1" show up as a Block Reference?
   and how do i work around this so i only get the Block Reference that is really in the drawing.

Public Sub DwgTest(ByVal pathtodwg As String, ByVal blockname As String)

Dim db As Database = New Database(False, False)

If IO.File.Exists(pathtodwg) = True Then
            db.ReadDwgFile(pathtodwg, System.IO.FileShare.Read, False, Nothing)

Using Trans As Transaction = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction
                Dim bktbl As BlockTable = db.BlockTableId.GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)

Dim revblk As BlockTableRecord = bktbl(blockname).GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)
                Dim refs As ObjectIdCollection = revblk.GetBlockReferenceIds(False, False)
                MsgBox(refs.Count.ToString)
            End Using

db.Dispose()
        End If

End Sub

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: wowens63

Hi,

>> now after I insert Drawing "Dwg1" into drawing "test1" I explode it then I save and close the drawing test1.

If you insert DWG1 in TEST1 and you explode it then ==> you have exploded the block called DWG1, but as the block BLOCK1 was a subobject it is not exploded with it's parent one, so after your step 3 there is one blockreference called BLOCK1 in modelspace.

If you redo the same, you will have 2 blockreferences then.

You can simulate this by hand, insert DWG1 into a new drawing, explode it, you'll see that BLOCK1 is now available in modelspace.

Does that clear up you situation?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 13
wowens63
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I understand the when I explode Dwg1 it leaves Block1 in model space but the code shows that there are 2

Block References for block Block1 thats the part i do not understand. when i check the 

Block Reference (bref.BlockName one will = Block1 and the other will = *Model_Space) so why does is show a

bref.BlockName to Block1 after block1 was exploded.

Message 4 of 13
wowens63

mistyped try this again.

I understand the when I explode Dwg1 it leaves Block1 in model space but the code shows that there are 2

Block References for block Block1 thats the part i do not understand. when i check the 

Block Reference (bref.BlockName one will = dwg1 and the other will = *Model_Space) so why does is show a

bref.BlockName to Block1 after block1 was exploded.

Message 5 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> but the code shows that there are 2Block References for block Block1 thats the part i do not understand

When you open the drawing and select the content of the modelspace with QSELECT, how many BlockReferences do you see then? Because I don't see a problem with your code and counting.

>> so why does is show a bref.BlockName to Block1 after block1 was exploded.

I didn't see in your description (points 1 to 4) and position where you explode the BlockReference called "BLOCK1" in the modelspace of the new drawing?

You just exploded to parent DWG1.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 13
norman.yuan

What you might want to look into is BlockReference.Name, not BlockReference.BlockName.

The former is the name of a BlockTableRecord (block definition) the BlockReference is based on, while the later is the name of the BlockReference' owner (usually, it is the ModelSpace block or PaperSpace block).

Norman Yuan

Drive CAD With Code

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
wowens63

Hi alfred

if i open the drawing and do qselect there is only one item in model_space if i try erase all there is only one item found in model_space but my code shows 2 Block References for Block1..if i purge the drawing then my code shows only one Block References for Block1

Message 8 of 13
wowens63
in reply to: norman.yuan

Hi Norman.

yes i know that,  i was using BlockReference.BlockName only to see what was going on

Message 9 of 13
wowens63

HI alfred

I never explode Block1 I only explode block Dwg1

Message 10 of 13
wowens63

here is the code and the drawing mybe you can tell me why my code gives me a count of 2 for block DBDSTXT

Call DwgTest("C:\test.dwg", "DBDSTXT")

Public Sub DwgTest(ByVal pathtodwg As String, ByVal blockname As String)

Dim db As Database = New Database(False, False)

If IO.File.Exists(pathtodwg) = True Then
            db.ReadDwgFile(pathtodwg, System.IO.FileShare.Read, False, Nothing)

Using Trans As Transaction = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction
                Dim bktbl As BlockTable = db.BlockTableId.GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)

Dim revblk As BlockTableRecord = bktbl(blockname).GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)
                Dim refs As ObjectIdCollection = revblk.GetBlockReferenceIds(False, False)
                MsgBox(refs.Count.ToString)
            End Using

db.Dispose()
        End If

End Sub

Message 11 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

so last guess before I try to simulate your situation

You exploded the DWG1, so you have in this drawing

• a) a BlockTableRecord "ModelSpace" containing one BlockReference "BLOCK1"
  • b) a BlockTableRecord "BLOCK1" ... whatever defines this block
  • c) a BlockTableRecord "DWG1" containing one BlockReference "BLOCK1"

Now you check "how often is my BlockTableRecord named "BLOCK1 referenced within that database".

Look to the colored words ==> 2

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 13
wowens63

hi alfred

if i look at the BlockTable for the database i see one block called "block1"

did you see my last post with my drawing and my code?

Message 13 of 13
wowens63

I understand now. thanks

When you explode Dwg1, you're making a copy of the block reference in Dwg1,

so you end up with two block references:

one in the Dwg1 block table record, and one in the *Model_Space block table record.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost