Did you mean: 

block on curve

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
gulzar25
395 Views, 6 Replies

block on curve

Hi,

I am trying to move a block on a curve with reference to 2 points on the curve.I am facing problem when one point is on horizontal part of curve and other point is at an angle.How do i place the block at angle.Please help.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
hgasty1001
in reply to: gulzar25

Hi,

You can obtain the angle from the first derivative of the curve at that point, and calculate the rotation angle from that angle.

Gaston Nunez

Message 3 of 7
gulzar25
in reply to: hgasty1001

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Can you please help me with sample code.

Thanks
Gulzar
Message 4 of 7
hgasty1001

Hi,

The first derivative of a curve is the slope or tangent in a point of a curve, the function/method GetFirstDerivative returns a vector3D with Dx,Dy,Dz components , if your curve is planar, there is no need for Dz, so the tangent=Dy/Dx then theta=math.atan2(Dy,Dx), another method is to calculate the angle from X axis to the derivative vector. GetFirstDerivative should be a method for every object that inherits from the curve class. Try the docs on this topic.

Gaston Nunez

Message 5 of 7
gulzar25
in reply to: hgasty1001

Hi,

I tried using the GetFirstDerivative method but i couldnt get direction.Can you please help me with sample code.

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
norman.yuan

When you said "move block along...", did you mean you want user to drag a selected block/entity and when the mouse cursor is dragged, the block/entity moves along a given curve?

If so, one of my articles may be of help:

http://drive-cad-with-code.blogspot.ca/2012/03/moving-entity-along-curve.html

Message 7 of 7
gulzar25
in reply to: norman.yuan

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the reply.Yes im moving block along a curve but im moving it with respect to 2 points.Im finding it difficult to get the direction.How do i get in which direction should i move.Any ideas??

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost