.NET

Valued Mentor
261 Posts
11 Kudos
Post 1 of 16

Autoloader 2015 and CUIx icons

410 Views, 15 Replies
04-02-2014 07:36 AM

I have another little Autoloader issue that I am wondering about...

Now that 2015 has the ability to use a light and dark theme, I am hoping we can get some added functionality in the Autoloader utility.

In order to support icons that work in both light and dark themes, we are back to using resource dll files to store the images. Unfortuantely, the resource dll files are not copied to the AutoCAD \Support folder along with the CUIx files upon startup.  So, when you start AutoCAD and are using resource dll files, your icons are all clouds.

I am working around this by using a script to copy the files over to the AutoCAD \Support folder, but those that are developing apps for the Autodesk Exchange, may not have this luxury.

Is there something I should be doing differently?  If not, this would be a great feature to have added!

Thanks!

Rob

Contributor
25 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 2 of 16

Re: Autoloader 2015 and CUIx icons

07-22-2014 12:18 PM in reply to: Rob.O

Ya, i used Resource DLL's in the past, but with CUIX. if you use a bitmap for your icons, it is copied into the CUIX.  The CUIX is just a zip file. add the .zip to the cuix and then take a look at it.  Beware. I have had luck with removing items from the zip then renaming it back to cuix, but adding stuff has never had good results.

So simply add the bitmap folder to the support path. then us the CUI and edit the command Small/Large image field to:  BitmapName_16.bmp (or use the browse button). The CUI will find it in the support path and add it to the CUIX for you.  

Also on backgrounds for light or dark. setting the background color in the bitmap to (192,192,192) is what i do. AutoCAD seeing this color as transparent when used in AutoCAD. 

Good lucky. 

Distinguished Mentor
787 Posts
80 Kudos
Post 3 of 16

07-22-2014 12:36 PM in reply to: Rob.O

Rob.O wrote:

I have another little Autoloader issue that I am wondering about...

Now that 2015 has the ability to use a light and dark theme, I am hoping we can get some added functionality in the Autoloader utility.

In order to support icons that work in both light and dark themes, we are back to using resource dll files to store the images. Unfortuantely, the resource dll files are not copied to the AutoCAD \Support folder along with the CUIx files upon startup.  So, when you start AutoCAD and are using resource dll files, your icons are all clouds.

FWIW -

This isn't going to resolve the issue of automagically switching between icons when user changes the application's theme... Although you could just implement an event-driven hack to prompt user to restart their session after a theme change, which would then load the correct icon sets, etc. at startup... I've always just used a transparent background for my app icons 253,253,253 in Photoshop/Gimp, or the Light Gray button in the lower left corner of the OOTB Icon Editor dialog.

Cheers

"Potential has a shelf life." - Margaret Atwood

Autodesk Exchange Apps ~ Autoloader ~ AutoCAD Security

AutoCAD® 2014, and Civil 3D® 2014 Certified Professional ~ Autodesk® Authorized Developer

Contributor
22 Posts
1 Kudo
Post 4 of 16

07-22-2014 12:40 PM in reply to: CanopenR

The trick to adding files to a CUIx (.ZIP), is to remove the files (images) in question first, then close the .ZIP file.  Re-open it, then add the new files. I have never had a problem when doing it this way.  The problems only seem to occur when you remove/rename files and then add files without first closing the .ZIP file.

I have a very hands-off setup (never have to touch a CAD machine) to load our customization files for our office and for our outside consultants.  I am loading all CUIx files from one folder on each local machine (ApplicationPlugins).  Everything should be loading properly from the Autoloader folder (ApplicationPlugins).  I don't have the need to use custom support folders, so I would rather not add one for icons.  Until this is updated, it looks like the only options are to use a custom support folder pointed to a server location (which breaks for our outside consultants) or use a script to copy the .dll files to the Acad\support folder.  I will just continue to use the script for now as it seems to work well.

Contributor
22 Posts
1 Kudo
Post 5 of 16

07-22-2014 12:45 PM in reply to: BlackBox_

I don't have any issues with the icons switching when the user changes from light to dark.  That has already been resolved by Autodesk by using the _light naming convention in the resource .dll file.

Theme.dll

and

Theme_light.dll

Valued Mentor
261 Posts
11 Kudos
Post 6 of 16

07-22-2014 12:50 PM in reply to: Rob

Ooops... Always posting with the wrong account! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Mentor
787 Posts
80 Kudos
Post 7 of 16

07-22-2014 01:10 PM in reply to: Rob

Rob wrote:

I don't have any issues with the icons switching when the user changes from light to dark.  That has already been resolved by Autodesk by using the _light naming convention in the resource .dll file.

Theme.dll

and

Theme_light.dll

Aha... I didn't catch that enhancement actually (I've pretty much been oblivious to 2015 changes since starting my new job, and the Microsoft certificatioin courses, etc.), so for that I thank you. :beer:

Cheers

AutoCAD® 2014, and Civil 3D® 2014 Certified Professional ~ Autodesk® Authorized Developer

Distinguished Mentor
787 Posts
80 Kudos
Post 8 of 16

07-22-2014 01:10 PM in reply to: Rob.O

Rob.O wrote:

Ooops... Always posting with the wrong account! :smileyhappy:

Tell me about it:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Community-Feedback/Feedback-on-new-look-of-forums/m-p/5035828#M7505

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Community-Feedback/Feedback-on-new-look-of-forums/m-p/5060114#M7560

Distinguished Mentor
787 Posts
80 Kudos
Post 9 of 16

07-22-2014 01:25 PM in reply to: BlackBox_

BlackBox_ wrote:

I've always just used a transparent background for my app icons 253,253,253 192,192,192 in Photoshop/Gimp, or the Light Gray button in the lower left corner of the OOTB Icon Editor dialog.

Oops; still hating this not being able to edit my own posts carp. Grrr.

Contributor
25 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 10 of 16

07-22-2014 02:05 PM in reply to: Rob
Sorry I forgot to mention the Support path addition is only for you as you build your CUIX menu. once done the path can be removed because the bitmap will now be inside the CUIX.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post