Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Hangs On Start

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mlovitt
423 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCAD Hangs On Start

After a couple of days of use, AutoCAD will hang on start up. It gets to the point where it displays "Regeneratng model" in the command window, and then just hangs. I can kill the proceess, and start again, and the same thing will happen. The only way to make AutoCAD work properly again is to restart the machine.

The freeze occurs no matter which document I attempt to open.

I've tried killing any AutoCAD-related processes, deleting temporary files, clearing the .NET assemblly cache. I've repaired the installation and reinstalled altogether.

I need to know what resources AutoCAD could be hanging onto. Is there a process I'm missing that I can kill? A temporary file somewhere I can delete? Is there a log file generated that I can examine to try to diagnose the problem?

Massively frustrated. I'll appreciate help of any kind.

Michael
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: mlovitt

what I do to deal with what I call "black box" hangups, is use filemon.exe by sysinternals.com (I think).
You can watch what files are being accessed in real time.
Sometimes it gives clues as to what is taking so long, it is great for watching what effects a virus checker is having
because you will see the virus checker exe accessing lots of files.

There is also a registry watcher from sysinternals that might help.
thx

mlovitt <>
|>After a couple of days of use, AutoCAD will hang on start up. It gets to the point where it displays "Regeneratng model" in the command window, and then just hangs. I can kill the proceess, and start again, and the same thing will happen. The only way to make AutoCAD work properly again is to restart the machine.
|>
|>The freeze occurs no matter which document I attempt to open.
|>
|>I've tried killing any AutoCAD-related processes, deleting temporary files, clearing the .NET assemblly cache. I've repaired the installation and reinstalled altogether.
|>
|>I need to know what resources AutoCAD could be hanging onto. Is there a process I'm missing that I can kill? A temporary file somewhere I can delete? Is there a log file generated that I can examine to try to diagnose the problem?
|>
|>Massively frustrated. I'll appreciate help of any kind.
|>
|>Michael

James Maeding
Civil Engineer and Programmer
jmaeding - athunsaker - com
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Michael:

> Is there a process I'm missing that I can kill?

The WSCommCntr1.exe process is the usual culprit. 🙂
--
Owen Wengerd
President, ManuSoft ==> http://www.manusoft.com
VP Americas, CADLock, Inc. ==> http://www.cadlock.com
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

oh, forgot about that stuff.
I use this (for LDT) to turn off all the online stuff:

(vl-registry-write
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Autodesk\\AutoCAD\\R16.2\\ACAD-4008:409\\CadManagerControl\\CommunicationCenter"
"EnableCommunicationCenter" 0)
(vl-registry-write
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Autodesk\\AutoCAD\\R16.2\\ACAD-4008:409\\CadManagerControl\\CommunicationCenter"
"MaintenancePatchNotificationOption" 1)
(vl-registry-write
"LocalPatchListLocation" "")
(vl-registry-write
"EnableNonPatchNotifications" 1)
(vl-registry-write
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Autodesk\\AutoCAD\\R16.2\\ACAD-4008:409\\CadManagerControl\\DesignCenter"
"EnableDesignCenter" 0)
(vl-registry-write
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Autodesk\\AutoCAD\\R16.2\\ACAD-4008:409\\CadManagerControl\\SubscriptionCenter"
"EnableSubscriptionCenter" 0)

Owen Wengerd
|>Michael:
|>
|>> Is there a process I'm missing that I can kill?
|>
|> The WSCommCntr1.exe process is the usual culprit. 🙂

James Maeding
Civil Engineer and Programmer
jmaeding - athunsaker - com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost