.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD document (dwg) programmatically locked (for changes)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
salaros
733 Views, 4 Replies

AutoCAD document (dwg) programmatically locked (for changes)

Our application (AutoCAD addon) requires a valid user login to access a list of documents fetched according to user-spefic read/write rights (both user info and relative access rights are fetched from the database).

Basically we need to lock up drawings (if needed), in order to disallow unauthorized users to commit changes those particular documents.

So my question is: how do we make the drawing document structure read-only for current section (without modifying file attributes inside the file system or locking the file with a dummy file stream).

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: salaros

Hi,

I would do that by user-accounts, define groups on your server, each group can have different users. And for the network shares define for each share one group that have full access permissions, other only have read-only and what is not defined does not have any permissions.

I don't know at the moment what that question has to do with dotNET development?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
dgorsman

Instead of preventing changes, it might be simpler to prevent overwriting drawings in the check-in procedure.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 5
salaros

1. My questions is clear - no filesystem locks, we cannot always rely on samba/windows shares and sharepoint servers. One more thing: users I was talking about are software users and not Windows users.
    Users are stored in SQLite/Postgres/MySQL DB, it depends on customer needs and network infrastucture (laptops usually have syncronized SQLite DBs).
    Anyway.. we don't want to modify file acess, we just want to disallow AutoCAD from actually modifying the drawing (or at least saving it.. and yes - we don't want to redefine SAVE. QSAVE, SAVEAS etc commands).
  2. Our question is stricly connected to dotNet programming. Ask for more details before posting this kind of answers.

P.S. In order to understand what kind of functionality we would like to accomplish think about Word documents: when you open a document from unknown source, Word tell you that you cannot edit it, unless you press on "Edit this document button" (I'm not sure about the button caption).

We just want to conditionally lock the document from basic interactions such as antity insertion/creation, entity selection, save commands etc

Message 5 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

ok, you gave a mass of informations like "Users are stored in SQLite/Postgres/MySQL DB" or "Our question is stricly connected to dotNet programming. Ask for more details before posting this kind of answers." but you don't show any connection between these phrases.

Sorry, I don't have your problem, so I don't have to "ask more details", it's up to the TO to give information, and the more he gives the more and better the answer will arrive. 

As I don't have to "post that kind of answers" ... I'm out.

Good luck anyway, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost