Did you mean: 

Attributes in XRef

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Amremad
1022 Views, 16 Replies

Attributes in XRef

hi every one 

is there a way to edit the any text in xref drawing locally .

i mean if i xref DWG1 to many drawing and DWG1 have text or text attribute . can i change this texts or attributes to different value for each drawings and with saving DWG1 values . 

i hope you understand me

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Amremad

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand the question, let me try to describe that with my words:

If you have a drawing file called DWG1 with a text/attribute like "Project-Name" set to "MY FIRST PROJECT" all drawings that uses that DWG1 as XRef will see the wording "MY FIRST PROJECT".

If you now change the label to "MY SECOND PROJECT" within DWG1 all drawings having this files referenced will see then "MY SECOND PROJECT".

Is that what you were asking for?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 17
Amremad
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

thank you MR.alfred
yes some thing like field , but DWG1 have this field and i can change this field in all other drawings with different values manually not automatically :
Message 4 of 17
Amremad

see if DWG1 have a field that show me the file name of drawing ,
so this field value will change in every drawings that have xref from DWG1.

understand me?
Message 5 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

can you attach a sample and describe which element should be changed?

Are you speaking now about a text-object, a mtext, an attribute within a blockreference or a field-object?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 17
Amremad

please download this zip file Xref Sample

i sent 5 drawing one of them called DWG1 . have 6 text object 

and other 4 drawings (with different filename) have xref of DWG1.

now i need to change XX000-020XX to no of file name 

i hope understand me

Message 7 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

does the attached file DWG1 answer your question? (I created a FIELD-object and used "document name" as property).

Exchange your DWG1.dwg with my uploaded version and open the files that use that as XRef.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 17
Amremad

yes i know this way 

i nead value change by me not by autocad . 

ex. if i will need value other than filename . may be the name of emplayee.(not windows user) 

see this attached  Xref Sample

the designed by that mean 

Message 9 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

If it's not a field, then you can change the content of the DWG1.dwg (using e.g. _REFEDIT or, with dotNET scan through the block definitions, find the one that is the XRef and open the database then for getting access to the object within the XRef).

But this modification is then constant for all drawings which reference that DWG1, so if you open your XX001-02001.dwg, modify the value in the XRef to "AAA" all other drawings referencing this file will see "AAA" (as XRef's are working).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 17
Amremad

no no .
i need to change the contents in one of subdrawing not in DWG1.
i nead DWG1 no change will be on it , just if i need to change the contents in subdrawing i can do that . understand ,

iam searching for any way to help me to do that
Message 11 of 17
Amremad

you know block attribute ?? , i can change the value of each reference blocks with diffrent value but the base block no change in it happen,

i need apply this way with Xref drawings 

changing must be manually not automaticlly like field 

sorry for my english

Message 12 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> i can change the value of each reference blocks with diffrent value but the base block no change in it happen,
>> i need apply this way with Xref drawings

No, that is what I tried to describe, that is not possible with XRef.

- alfre d-

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 17
Amremad

that 's my problem 🙂
any way iam trying to find any way to do what i need
Message 14 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

Why do you need that as XRef when this technology is not working?

If it's just the option to have other content of DWG1 distributed into other drawings then you might use _INSERT instead of _XREF and develop a tool that updates the content from DWG1 into the inserted block-definition.

Or is there another reason for needing DWG1 as XRef?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 15 of 17
Amremad

i need to make frame for all drawings that have no. of drawing and some information for sheets and date and revisions then use this drawing as Xref in all drawing in my project . then change in every drawing the information for each drawing.
Message 16 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

well, my preferred solution would be to use the XRef for all constant parts plus an additional blockreference within each drawing for attributes/individual parts.
But the way for updating an internal blockreference from an external drawing file is an option too.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 17 of 17
Amremad

yes i do this is already , but i was searching for way instead copy attribure blocks in each drawing ( can put it in DWG1 only) 🙂

thank you very much for help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost