Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADN Subscription

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Jeffrey_H
1408 Views, 9 Replies

ADN Subscription

Is anyone a member of the ADN if so is it worth it. I know in the past with subscription help they send you pdf's and documentation from au university and other places you can get online yourself. Is the ADN documentation the same.I got the okay to join, but putting it off because they do not prorate so if I pay a full year subscription I will have to pay again in Janurary 2011. I believe if pay in November they will let you ride to 2012 

You can also find your answers @ TheSwamp
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
chiefbraincloud
in reply to: Jeffrey_H

I believe the cutoff for getting next years membership with this years is October 1.

I for one have not taken advantage of the Support available through ADN, but IMHO, it is worth the price of the Standard membership just for the Product Licenses, regardless of support and documentation.

Dave O.                                                                  Sig-Logos32.png
Message 3 of 10
djonio

fro2001,

Yes, I am a member. "...worth it"? I have had mixed results. Overall it has been worth it to me and my situation. How valuable is your time?

When it comes to .NET I have learned more from this forum than anywhere else. ADN has been most helpful for me when it comes to issues with the verticals(e.g. Map3d, Civil)

r,

dennis   

Message 4 of 10
caddzone
in reply to: djonio

This is just my opnion...

Profiting from and commercially exploting some of the worst API documentation

in the computer industry isn't something I would want to have any part of.

I don't believe that your ADN fees are spent wisely, and in fact, could not be

spent more unwisely.

Rather than having done a decent job documenting their API's and publishing

that for the benefit of all customers, they instead prefer that you pay them to

'spoon feed' you the thousands of missing pieces of the puzzle they've created,

which should not be a puzzle to start with. It doesn't cost them as much you

may think to do that, mainly because so many of the questions and requests

are FAQs (asked hundreds of times over), and all they have to do is pull the

answers out of an 'internal-use-only' knowlege base.

Perhaps Jim Quancy thinks he has most of us fooled. 

AcadXTabs for AutoCAD
Supporting AutoCAD 2000-2011

Message 5 of 10
Jeffrey_H

CadZone

I would be okay with just a sentence or two about each property and and methods. And a small description about each class, and how they work together.  I can get through autocad okay although I have dual screen and I have the arxmgd.chm file open and the devolpers guide and visual studio running routines with reflection too see what's there. Oh yeah and mgd2010 to look at the structure to figure out how to get to whatever. Then if I need dxf code arxbdg.

We use Autocad MEP , but I have nothing to reference.

Why do think microsoft put so many resources in developing .net and vsstudio because it compiles to mil

I wish autodesk took that theory the more programs written for autocad the better it is for autodesk

Just because some of the programs I wrote the engineers purchased more licenses so they could have copy.

The better programmers out there writing code for autodesk products the better it is for them.

I totally agree to pay extra for the support.

But the documentation should be better  and it does nothing good for autodesk or programmers.

Maybe we should start a new post on who thinks the documentation is terrible.

You can also find your answers @ TheSwamp
Message 6 of 10
TerryDotson

Been a member for many years and it's highly recommended and worth the money.  I only use the support services about twice per year and the result is fast and helpful.  As for Jim Quanci, he has been great to work with and on every occasion he has gone out of his way to be extra helpful !!

Message 7 of 10
phoinix
in reply to: TerryDotson

I have been a member of the ADN for several years.

The dev-help responses from the ADN have been useful.

Access to all of Autodesk software is quite valuable for the fee.

Granted the documentation for the AutoCAD API is dismal.

Without good documentation, there are few avenues other that the grace of fellow members of the various discussion groups to find answers and code samples other than the ADN.

I would say it is worth the investment.

But there is always room for improvement

Message 8 of 10
nick901

Hi,

What it means "acces to Autodesk software" ?

I'm working for a big company and made some tools for Inventor and AutoCAD but I have no private license to use this software at home and that's the problem. Can an ADN membership resolve this?

Nick

Message 9 of 10
chiefbraincloud
in reply to: nick901

The License agreement specifically states a Single Site license, so technically no.  Unfortunately, I have the same issue.

Dave O.                                                                  Sig-Logos32.png
Message 10 of 10
stevenelliott3894
in reply to: nick901

You should look into AutoDesk's Home Use License. It lets me install and use a copy of AutoCAD at home that is based off of my work license. I'm not sure if this is a feature available only to subscription members or not, though.

Steven Elliott

When I was a little bitty boy, my grandmother bought me a cute little toy. Silver bells hangin' on a string... she told me it was my ding-a-ling-a-ling!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost