.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple of newbie Q's: Error message & loading Acad help.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
DaveF.
386 Views, 3 Replies

A couple of newbie Q's: Error message & loading Acad help.

Hi
It's my first day at transferring from vba to vb.net & struggling a bit (not helped by the fact all Autocad's own examples have errors in them). Hope you can help with these two:

1. I've loaded & built one of the example included in the object.arx download. I load & run the .dll once & it works as expected. If I edit & rebuild I get this error:  

Unable to copy file "obj\Release\HelloWorld.dll" to "bin\HelloWorld.dll". The process cannot access the file 'bin\HelloWorld.dll' because it is being used by another process.

I get it on all the routines I tried. I've done a search online - nothing specific to AutoCAD but the general vb community doesn't appear to have much of a solution.

2. I'm using the Microsoft VB Express IDE. How do I load the offline help files for AutoCAD so when I highlight a word & press F1 it displays a help page for it? I've managed to do it for the general vb.net commands which use .msha files. Is there an equivalent for Acad?

Cheers
Dave F.

Cheers
Dave F.

AutoCAD 2012 Structural Detailing SP1 & Revit Structure 64bit
Win 7 64bit
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: DaveF.

HI,

>> The process cannot access the file 'bin\HelloWorld.dll' because it is being used by another process.

I assume you have another instance of ACAD.EXE running that has loaded this DLL. Maybe it's an invisible windows, look therefor in Windows-TaskManager if you find a process called ACAD.EXE in the list of processes.

>> How do I load the offline help files for AutoCAD so when I highlight a word & press F1 it displays a help page for it?

Within the ObjectARX-kit there was an MSI that installs that help-support. But I don't use it and I don't know if it's working with the Express-version.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 4
DaveF.
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

HI,

>>I assume you have another instance of ACAD.EXE running that has loaded this DLL. Maybe it's an invisible windows, look therefor in Windows-TaskManager if you find a process called ACAD.EXE in the list of processes.

I checked & rebooted. Only one instance running. As I said, it runs fine first time & when I rebuild throws the error.

>> How do I load the offline help files for AutoCAD so when I highlight a word & press F1 it displays a help page for it?

Within the ObjectARX-kit there was an MSI that installs that help-support. But I don't use it and I don't know if it's working with the Express-version.

I'd already installed that file. They appear to be .HxS files & no idea how to integrate them, if in fact, there the correct ones.

Good luck, - alfred -

Thanks, I think I'm goingto need it.:)

Cheers
Dave F.

AutoCAD 2012 Structural Detailing SP1 & Revit Structure 64bit
Win 7 64bit
Message 4 of 4
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: DaveF.

Hi,

if you start VS in debug-mode, then you load your DLL into this AutoCAD instance using command _NETLOAD ... and you quit then AutoCAD ==> does VisualStudio come back to you, do you see that debuging-mode ended?

Other option: don't do a restart of your system. Look into the TaskManager if AutoCAD is running. Sometimes there are references build (or COM-activities) that may block AutoCAD from beeing quited in a clean way. It get's invisible, but it stays as a running process in the background. That is what I imagine as the source of your problem (otherwise you would be able to rebuild your solution).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost