Did you mean: 

40000 blocks with attrbutes

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sanjaymann
411 Views, 3 Replies

40000 blocks with attrbutes

Hi ,
I am looping over a set of 40000 entities converting them to blocks and adding 35 attributes to each block. Till here its fine my .net program converts to block and write atributes to each one of them in 2 hours. But after the program finishes and I try to save the file autocad takes ages to save the file and also it stops responding.
Is autocad not able to handle 40000 blocks with attributes. I am using autocad 2013. The dll has been developed using visual studio 2010.
Thanks & Regards
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
fenton.webb
in reply to: sanjaymann

On 64bit Windows, it should handle it fine. It also depends how your code is written. If you use StartTransaction() you may have a larger memory overhead then if you use StartOpenCloseTransaction(). However, I'd guess that StartTransaction() will give you must faster results on a huge dataset like this

Fenton Webb
AutoCAD Engineering
Autodesk

Message 3 of 4
sanjaymann
in reply to: fenton.webb

I am working on a 64 bit system and yes StartTransaction()  consumes more memory but surely its faster and since memory is not an issue I have used StartTransaction() in my code. Set aside programming part. 

Lets talk about a file which have 40000 blocks each with 35 attributes. According to you how much time will autocad take if I make some modifications to the file and hit save.

Message 4 of 4
Balaji_Ram
in reply to: sanjaymann

We dont have performance metrics to answer that question.

If you can share a buildable sample project / drawing to repdroduce the behavior, we may be able to suggest improvements that might help.

Balaji
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost