Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong dimensions diplayed in Simulate 2011 SP1 - dimensions way too large

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Mech_Engr
630 Views, 3 Replies

Wrong dimensions diplayed in Simulate 2011 SP1 - dimensions way too large

I sometimes get problems when measuring distances in navisworks simulate 2011 sp1.

Navisworks for examples returns a value of 238 mtrs, when it should be something in the order of magnitude of 10 mtrs.

Does anyone have an idea how this error can be resolved, or where it results from?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JeffH_ADSK
in reply to: Mech_Engr

Hi there,

The most likely scenario is that the file you have imported into Navisworks has the wrong file units assigned. Quite a few file formats do not encode a unit and thus Navisworks will pick a default.

If you right-click the file in Navisworks' Selection Tree and choose File Units & Transforms... this will enable you to correct this.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 3 of 4

The good way to avoid this problem for ever is draw a box in AutoCAD sized 1 by 1 by 1 at 0,0,0

when wblock this box as a block and give the block the right units.

Open the block in NavisWorks and see if the units are correct in NavisWorks. It are the units of the first file opened that become the units of the NWF or NWD.

If so, save the NWF as a kind of Template.

Next time you have to view a mechanical model, open this template and append what you want to see and then delete the model of the box at 0,0,0.

It's the only way I know to control the units in NavisWorks, regardless of what you want to open an convert.

Message 4 of 4
Mech_Engr
in reply to: Mech_Engr

The way Jeff described works for me, although I have to manually check my unit settings evertime I open Navisworks.

The option described by Patrick might also work, but I dont work with AutoCAD, our draftsmen work witrh AutoCAD, I only use Navisworks for reviewing plants.

So for now Ill stick to the first option. In case it starts to annoy me to much, or when our whole company starts having problems with it, we might consider the option by patrick.

Anyway, thank you guys for the input, thats appreciated!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report