Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wildcard in 'Find Items'

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sagar.londonites
5696 Views, 4 Replies

Wildcard in 'Find Items'

I've been using Navisworks Manage and I couldn't find any significant explanation of 'wildcard' definitions in 'Find Items' menu.

I've been through the help file to no avail.

Is there any list of definitions that can be used in certain manner with wildcard to create search sets?

- Sagar
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I know this is an old post that no one answered, but during my own online hunt for valid Wildcard symbols used in the FIND ITEMS window this came up as the top search engine result, which obviously did me no good.  After continuing my search, I have found a resource for the Wildcard variable options and figured I would post the info here in case anyone else is led to this location during their search.... 

The Asterisk is used 'typically' at the beginning or end of your search value

Represents additional text characters that could come before or after the parameter you have typed. The quantity of those additional characters does not matter with this wildcard.

?  

The Question Mark is used to represent a single additional text character that could be present and still returned as a valid result. Typically used in multiples, anywhere in your parameter.

USAGE EXAMPLES

So, say you have some model objects, that populate your selection tree with these examples....

Navis Selection Tree (examples)

1.         A-New-Door
  2.         A-Red-Door
  3.         I-Door-Existing

Condition Column - Parameter examples using Wildcards

A*

The search is looking for a line item that starts with an A and has anything or nothing after it.

This search returns #1 & #2 as search results.

*DOOR*

The search is looking for a line item that contains the word DOOR and has anything or nothing before and after it.

This search returns #1 #2 & #3 as search results.

*R*D*

The search is looking for a line item that contains both letters R & D in it, but the R has to appear before the D, and can have anything or nothing before the R, anything or nothing between the R and the D, and can have anything or nothing after the D

This search returns #1 #2 & #3 as search results.

A-???-DOOR

The search is looking for a 10 character count, line item that starts with an A- and has any 3 characters following it followed immediately by -DOOR

For the question mark wildcard, even a space between words counts as a character that has to be accounted for with the question mark or an actual space in your search parameter.

This search returns #1 & #2 as search results.

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the explanation. This is very useful.

Message 4 of 5
earestova1
in reply to: JLazoTPZG8

@JLazoTPZG8 

Thank you for the explanation, it is really very useful!

I am not sure, but it seems that there is a mistake in  *R*D* example. It says that the result contains both letters, so the right answer is A-Red-Door only, not 1, 2, 3.

Message 5 of 5
Marauj0
in reply to: sagar.londonites

I sign in just to like your post thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report