Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'View Selected' shortcut broken in 2012?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dparks
545 Views, 2 Replies

'View Selected' shortcut broken in 2012?

In Simulate 2011, it was possible to quickly identify, fit to view, and manipulate selections using the Selection Tree.

Once a model was opened, a User could select a file name (or unfold the Selection Tree and select layers or objs by clicking on the wanted attribute) - and then quickly fit (View Selected) the selected items to the Main View by tapping the [Home] key.  This functionality seems to have been lost or moved in the 2012 upgrade, v9.0.0.69686.

To test -
  1.) Open a model in Simulate 2011 with the Selection Tree pinned open.
  2.) Click on *any* data listed in the Selection Tree and immediately tap the [Home] key. 
The selected item(s) will be hilighted and fit to the main view.  It even works when holding the [Ctrl] key to select multiple objs/attributes within the Selection Tree - and with multiple/split views.

This no longer seems to be the case with the 2012 upgrade.
Performing the same steps above hilights the objects, but the [Home] shortcut no longer works - unless - the User first makes the main view "active", through a middle-mouse button click (to retain the selection) or by right-clicking in the main view and selecting the [View Selected] option; which seems counterproductive to providing the [Home] keyboard shortcut at all.

As mentioned, I've also confirmed the activity when using multiple or Split Views, in that -
Navis Sim 2011 -
1.) Select the split view in which you want the selected objects to fit.
2.) Click on *any* data listed in the Selection Tree and immediately tap the [Home] key.
3.) Lather, rinse, and repeat - and the selected items will continue to be fit in the selected view, by hilighting in the Selection Tree and tapping the [Home] key.
In Navis Sim 2012, the hilighted objects will be fit in the selected view only iniitally (as it was the active view).  Subsequent Selection Tree selections and [Home] presses will only hilight objects and have no further effect on the view.

This isn't a 'big' deal - but when working with massive model data consisting of a couple thousand files, using keyboard shortcuts greatly facilitates my visualization production, and this 'Selection Tree > [Home]' shorcut combo is one on which I rely heavily to quickly ID and persistantly manipulate specific types of data within a given view.

Appologies for the lengthy post; just wanted to detail the issue in an effort at expiditing a resolution.

Look forward to any replies - Thanks!!
dp

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
baixiaobx
in reply to: dparks

Thank you for your feedback.

This issue has been recorded and our engineers will investigate.

Your patience and support is appreciated.

Bill Bai
SW Team Lead
AEC
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
dparks
in reply to: baixiaobx

Thanks, BB - your reply is much appreciated.

Like I explained, it's not a 'big' deal; I can MMB click the Main view real quickly prior to executing the Fit shortcut, or use the Zoom (Page up/Page Down) keys in the interim - I just got used to having the view 'snap' where needed through the Selection Tree that having the shortcut fail was tripping me up.

Thanks again..

dp

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report