Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Navisworks for Coordination (Advanced)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
smbrennan
2421 Views, 6 Replies

Using Navisworks for Coordination (Advanced)

Ok, before I begin, either the new structure of the forums prevents me from easily searching (I liked the Autofill, can't seem to get that working), or there are no posts relevant to the question I have. So, here it is:

I've been using Navisworks for a couple of years now. However, at my company we've always had one person on a project at a time. Recently, I joined in on a project doing some 3D coordination. I've noticed that both myself and another user can open the same NWF at the same time, with no "Read Only" option like you would normally get for a DWG file, or any other file from MS Office.

With that being said, can anyone explain how Navisworks is supporting multiple users to open the same file simultaneously? What happens if I merge a file in, and save? Or someone else creates a new clash test, item overrides, etc. I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

How are your Options -> Model -> Performance -> On Load "close NWC/NWD files on Load ?
It should be turned ON in Navisworks Freedom, but ON if you want to edit an NWD in Simulate or Manage.
Message 3 of 7

First off, was there a typo there? You said to turn the settings ON for two scenarios, where it sounds like you meant ON vs OFF. Please confirm that.

Secondly, I think I'm more confused than before asking the question. I'm not 100% sure that answered my question. I didn't know what that box did, until reading this post:

http://navis-infocenter.blogspot.com/2011/05/closing-nwcnwd-files-on-load.html

After reading that, it still doesn't help me. If I have 2 or more users working in the same NWF, how does Navisworks track changes such as Appends, Merges, New Clashes, Saved Viewpoints, Item Overrides between each user? Does it all save to the NWF and a "refresh" will act similar to Revit's "Sync back to Central" ???

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 4 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: smbrennan

I've kind of wondered this myself.  Most of our users don't change anything in the NWF, so it has been something of a non-issue.  In previous releases, it would save the NWF file with a "~" extension, so we would end up with folders containing "__.NWF~", "___.NWF~~", "___.NWF~~~" and so on.  I *think* any changes saved go to the NWF but aren't propagated to others who have it open (load on open situation), but the last user to save wins.  If you have a few minutes, I'd appreciate some logical testing with different settings (viewpoints, comments, etc.), such as:

- two users open the same NWF, make change the same setting but to different values at different times; both close, one re-opens and inspects the result

- two users open the same NWF, make changes to different settings and save; both close, one re-opens and inspects the result

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 7
smbrennan

After doing my own testing, I've found out that the last person to save, is basically overriding any previous saves.

In small firms/projects, this is easy to control. However, in larger firms/projects, how are we supposed to keep track of who's saving and when, and what?

I just posted a wish in the AUGI forums. Anyone who reads this that thinks this should be improved, please look for my wish and rank it. I'm requesting a feature similar to that of Revit's Central File and Worksets features.

Shawn B.

|   
Message 6 of 7
dgorsman

We have a project NWF that only the lead is suppoed to modify.  Others can open it and wander around, but if they want to personalize it they need to Save As ... their own copy.  No major problems so far.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 7
stahci

I have asked about this before and no one could give me a straight answer. Every option seems to be a pain. What we ended up doing was creating a single NWF that the lead used and they would export and organize the clashes, produce reports and created a NWD for distribution. They would then receive updated models where the subs had made revisions based on meetings and phone calls and the process would start all over again.

I never understood how this work flow was to properly work as it seems to be broken and the software should have the capability considering in the report there is an approved by column which would lead me to believe that some how people are suppose to be able to approve clashes as they are going thru them.

If anyone has a better work flow please speak up I am very curious as to how other do coordination, especially with multiple people in multiple firms.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report