Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading NWD file from 2014 to 2015

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
stahci
649 Views, 7 Replies

Upgrading NWD file from 2014 to 2015

I am finishing up putting together a NWD file in version 2014 but the person receiving the NWD file will have version 2015. Will this be an issue? Will the project file just upgrade automatically on first load? What happens, as I have never upgraded a NWD file?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: stahci

just give him the 2014 NWD file, 2015 will open it without any problem.
But if he saves (as 2015) then you will not be able to open it any more (unknown version number error)
So if he wants to provide feedback, he will have to use Save As and pick the 2044 NWD filetype when he saves
Message 3 of 8
stahci

So the file is not able to be upgraded and saved similar to Revit. There was another post in here that got deleted that contradicted what yo uare saying.

Message 4 of 8
dgorsman

The NWD file *can* be opened and saved, using Simulate or Manage 2015; or just opened in Freedom 2015.  There have been a few reports of users unable to open previous version NWD files with the new release; this may be due to changes in how saved hidden/overridden object are managed, or it may be a fault in the program, or it may be something unrelated.  You should test it yourself if you are unwilling to wait for a service pack or hotfix release.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 8
Patrick_Aps_9121

In your post, you did not mention Revit at all, so i was talking in general about NWD files. The problems mentioned are on the machines hat have both Revit and Navisworks (different versions) installed and the file readers gett messed up.
Message 6 of 8
stahci
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

Patrick I am not talking about revit on the machine just drawing a comparison to how I expected the software to upgrade. I know Revit updates files on the initial load if they are old versions I would assumer that Navisworks would do somthing similar.

Message 7 of 8
dgorsman

Freedom doesn't update the file, because it cannot save, but it can still load previous NWD versions.  Simulate and Manage can load earlier versions and downsave files to the most recent versions as well.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 8
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: dgorsman

Simulate and Manage wont change or upgrade the file (type) of an opened NWF file until you press the SAVE button. If you only use "Save AS" you won't upgrade the file.
They might change the filetype of the created cache NWC files that are next to the appended models, if the NWC file was outdated and had to be updated because the model changed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report