Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

treating XREF overlays as attachments

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
rdstodd
3888 Views, 25 Replies

treating XREF overlays as attachments

Navisworks 2010 doesn't appear to be distinguishing between XFREF overlays and attachments like AutoCAD does. Are all XREFs in AutoCAD drawings treated as attachments?
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: rdstodd

Tools > Global Options > File Readers > DWG/DXF/SAT > Convert Xrefs , clear
the checkbox and restart.
Convert XRefs :Select this check box to convert any external reference files
contained within the DWG file automatically.
Clear this check box if you want to append files in Autodesk Navisworks
later yourself.

wrote in message news:6370465@discussion.autodesk.com...
Navisworks 2010 doesn't appear to be distinguishing between XFREF overlays
and attachments like AutoCAD does. Are all XREFs in AutoCAD drawings treated
as attachments?
Message 3 of 26
JeffH_ADSK

Hi there,

What distinction is missing that Navisworks is not currently handling?

Thanks,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 4 of 26
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

Dear Autodesk,

The dwg file reader should be able to distinguish between xref overlay and xref attach

overlay xrefs should NOT be processed, they are not actually part of the file being appended, they are merely references used by that file.

On the other hand attached xrefs ARE part of the file being appended and should be processed.

C'mon guys...2012 and you still haven't got this basic functionality worked out!

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 5 of 26
TheCadGuyDavid

I am especially annoyed with the inability of Navisworks to distinguish between Overlays and Attachments. All that would be needed is some simple, basic, Boolean programming, and a checkbook for the option. Autodesk really needs to work on their interoperability. This is so rediculously simple, that I seriously wonder about competence. Quit adding features and programs and fix your best for a year. You guys are getting a bad reputation for creating many rigs with flat tires, metaphorically speaking.

If this their is something missing, well, then I blame help. I have been looking for a solution for about an hour now... Not the first time I have done this.

Message 6 of 26

If this is too difficult to understand... I will give a description of what is happening:

I have two files I want to append into Navisworks. They both include a whole building XREFed as OVERLAYS into the DWGs. When appending the two DWGs, the building shows up twice in the same exact place; meaning that one must hide one of the buildings in the Navisworks file set to make it invicible. This makes collision detection useless.

The workaround is to make a new drawings and add all the areas needed into the DWG. Then load that dwg into Navisworks. The problem with this is that there is no way to append anything and it limits many functions. One of the eliminated functions include refreshing, because Navisworks does not check into xref drawings of DWGs.

This is rediculous. And I hope someone addresses this. What are you guys doing? Sleeping? It is 2013!

Message 7 of 26
dgorsman
in reply to: TheCadGuyDavid

Steady... deep breaths.  Slow down a bit and you won't trip on things as much.

Now - there's a couple of features in Navisworks you should be aware of.  First, using MERGE instead of APPEND will help deal with duplicate objects, as the name implies.  Second, there are additional settings for dealing with duplicate objects under the Options dialog.  Can't specifically point them out right now, as my Simulate session is churning out a 600-frame animation....

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 26
TheCadGuyDavid
in reply to: dgorsman

Sorry about my incorrect language, but I have been using MERGE to do it. And
it still does not work like desired. There should still be a safeguard such
that Overlays do not get added. The programming would be so simple.

I will check out the duplicate in the Options dialog.

Thanks
Message 9 of 26
TheCadGuyDavid

Okay, I went into the Option dialog. Tried several variations, but no dice. Thanks for your help, but I have described the issue, and would like some solid solutions.

Again, this issue has too long been ignored. Is the programming more difficult than I assume? I like the ideas for the workflow, but they are not being refined. It is ludicrous to assume that one is going to detach all attchments every time they go to save their drawings, and merging does not always work. I did find that it worked a couple of times, but I still see an excessive amount of repeats in the selection tree. Collision detection becomes useless with the Plant 3D and other AutoCAD workflows. Just some simple "if" statements in the code would allow the overlays to work correctly in Navisworks, like they should.

I love doing this stuff, but it becomes difficult to deal with all these setbacks.

Message 10 of 26
dgorsman

I use MERGE when building, and have Options -> Interface -> Merge Duplicates options checked.  I also have Options -> File Readers -> DWG/DXF -> Convert XREFs and Merge XREF layers checked.  When I build composite models from a variety of sources containing XREFs I don't get any duplicate objects.  The downside is when a refresh is done, *all* content has to be refreshed from the ground up since it has to check (again) to deal with duplicates.

If you have a similar set-up, it might be time to do a detailed investigation of the models and look for non-identical duplicates.

Message 11 of 26
TheCadGuyDavid
in reply to: dgorsman

I know I sound like a broken record, but if Navisworks differentiated
between Overlays and Attachments, the program would work much, much, much
better.

I check the options. Without changing anything, Navisworks has everything
set the same except for that one "Option -> Interface -> Merge Duplicates"
checkbox. It appears not to have that option. I even looked in every group
for the "Interface" category. I am working with NavisWorks Manage 2013.

Thanks for the help. J
Message 12 of 26
dgorsman

Sorry - that should have been Options - Model -> Performance -> Merge duplicates.

Message 13 of 26
tim-bot

i would have to agree. the way autocad works is that it only brings in attached xrefs when referencing in a drawing, and always ignores overlaid xrefs everywhere except when actually opening the drawing that the xref is in. that's the right thing to do. 3ds max works this way when reading drawing files, it's how navisworks should work.

funny thing is, that when you xref your main drawing (containing your design data and a number of xrefs either attached or overlaid) into a blank drawing, then save that and load it into navisworks, things come in as expected, overlay xrefs are ignored, and attached xrefs are brought in. this is carried out thruout the xref file tree. it's just in the primary drawing node that's not working correctly.

Message 14 of 26
hlammerts
in reply to: tim-bot

Could this 10 year old request be either archived or deleted ? Please do so. Navisworks development stopped long long time ago. Keeping this in the air is waist of frustration and reading time for solutions that will not be provided.

Message 15 of 26
willinsuite
in reply to: hlammerts

Sad. But very true.

Message 16 of 26
hlammerts
in reply to: willinsuite

My hopes is that before release 2022 something is done here.

Autodust

Message 17 of 26
Nick_Antonov

2022 and still same problem We have to detach Xrefs we use for references only when modeling (Overlay-ed obviously) , so they don't appear in Navis combined model.

Its so annoying because We have to monitor every instance.

Message 18 of 26
arturolemus

2023 and still a problem! AUTODESK IS DROPPING THE BALL!!!!!

Back in the day, before autodesk acquired Navisworks, here in the US, east coast, I used to call around 4am to talk to the developers in england and they will have a fix within hours. Maybe Autodesk is planning to incorporate Dynamo to Navisworks so we can fix the program ourselves. LOL 

Message 19 of 26
hanslammerts
in reply to: arturolemus

Great idea. Lets also vote to give autodesk a big thumbs up or thumbs down for reading any of this.

Message 20 of 26
arturolemus

We pay premium for the software subscription!

My time is limmited that's why we buy the software to design no to program. Rolling my eyes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report