I am doing a Marketing and Presentation Sequencing for a Wall Panelization company in NC. Since I don't have MS Project or Primavera, I am creating a Timerliner Schedule by Using the Selection Sets as added tasks to populate Timerliner. Now normally I would do all of my "Timng" and dates with in Timeliner, since none of my anticipated TIME PERIODS would be less than 1-Hour. BUT...............The Contractor wants to show setting 12 "Panels" per day, which ovef an 8-hr work period is 40 mins. Since the smallest time increcment I can adjust to in Timeline is one hour.............even though it's show 15-min increments, I cna't get the Gantt bars to snap to the 15-min times........., I'm forced to expoert Timeliner out to a CSV file, bring into Excel to adjust the times to 45-min. Now while this is really a PITA, I can live with it, even though there are 775 Tasks to be readjusted. BUT , again, when I try to import the updated CSV, and either Syncronize or rebuild the hierarchy, NW Crashes and Burns. Sooooooooo, I reopen the project, "CLEAR" Timeliner, Import the CSV, and everything comes back in EXCEPT, now the actual Attachements, are not there, hence not Model shows in the Simulate Tab, and I have to now reattach each and everyone of the Selection Sets, one at a time, to their original Task. Not very Productive.
I had integrated NW with PRIMAVERA and when I edit my schedule or add new activities or delete activities, I have exactly the same problem you have.
I LOOSE ALL THE ATTACHMENTS AND SETS....
Did you find a solution? Please HELPPPPPPP!
You don't need to export or re-import to adjust times. You can enable Show Time in Global Options/Tools/TimeLiner and edit the times directly in the TimeLiner grid of tasks. We're aware of the Gantt bar snapping issue.
However, I'd still like more details as to firstly why the CSV import 'crashes & burns' and how, and also how the loss of attachments is occurring. Could you describe more of the workflow that is causing this, perhaps with some example files? Opening an issue with Support may assist.
I realized after a little more reseach on the web, and an Video Release by you guys on You-Tube that I hadn't seenbefore, about adjusting the imes within NWM by turning on the show times. At first I just thought that turning on the time, it was just available to "SEE", not that it was also editable. DUH>>>>>MY BAD> As for the refreshing and crashing when trying to update the csv, Each time the CER activated when NM crashed, I allowed it to continue to send the info to you. I have been able to get the csv i'd been using to refresh now with warnings that mt "Time" syntax was not right.....once I corrected them, it seems to be stable and works now. I'll keep you posted.
P6 does not export to MPX properly if you still have access to P3 you can go from P6 à P3à MPX. This is a little bothersome but it will work.
Also if you name your selection sets the same as the activities you can run a rule in timeline which will attach the selection set to the matching activity.
I face quite a lot of problems with the Navisworks data sources too. It took me almost one and a half month to figure out a good solution.
1) Regardless of the original data source, I would import the original data into Timeliner and then export the dates out into csv file. This csv file would be the main file to edit/manipulate in excel.
2) Next, I would reimport the main csv file back into Navisworks and do the attachments and etc.
3) If there are any changes to be made to the program, I can simply change the csv in excel then synchronize and rebuild the csv data in Timeliner.
4) Like Tarlei has mentioned, the selection sets should have the same name as those of the activities/tasks (I changed the task names) so that I can run the automatic rule for attaching sets.
5) One thing to note is that once the sets are attached, new tasks should only be added at the bottom of the csv list and not the top because Timeliner tracks the attachment by id (1,2,3 etc.) and not by task names.
6) Therefore, if you have no choice but to insert tasks in between the csv list of activities, then ensuring that the selection sets and activities/tasks names are the same will be the best way.
An alternative to changing the activities/tasks' names would be to enter data into the available fields in Timerliner. In this way, it will be possible to track both activities and set names in the csv list.
Access a broad range of knowledge to help get the most out of your products and services.