Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeliner + Animation

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
OcciMO
516 Views, 2 Replies

Timeliner + Animation

There's lots of unanswered posts about this particular animation issue in Timeliner, so I would like to ask the root question of why.

It seems we are able to get right up to the point where we can get Timeliner to sequence according to a schedule, while including those impressive animations where objects grow out of the ground or fall out of the sky. It sorta/kinda works, just not consistantly. Objects keep falling out, or the animation series craps out half way through the sequence, even though it works perfectly through Animator. 

So what I would like someone to answer honestly is why this isn't part of the working features of Navisworks? If someone bothered to add a place in Timeliner to add a script or animation at all, shouldn't it work? It "sort of" works, "sometimes," so that makes me think it really is supposed to. I don't THINK it's something I'm doing or not doing (certainly possible) or hardware, but so far I haven't found a RECENT, solid answer in any industry forum to those asking for help for this very specific topic. I saw a post from 2011 saying it "wasn't possible" yet all the means seem to be right there.

Will any experts weigh in?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: OcciMO

I've been playing with the Timeliner and Animator for the past few days.  It has its quirks, but it does do what I'm expecting it to do.  It certainly wasn't a click-click-done procedure, it takes some work to suss everything out.  I'm quite good at such things and it took a day or two.  I would expect others who don't have an affinity or the time for working out procedural steps may take a week or more to get consistently good results.

Some of the reluctance to post may simply be avoiding conflict-of-interest: handing off hard-won knowledge to others who then use it to compete with little investment can stay many hands.  Ultimately it is a volunteer forum for sharing information.  Replying isn't mandatory, even for AutoDesk staff.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 3
Logos_Atum
in reply to: dgorsman

I managed to handle Timeliner after a few tries too. It´s not self explanatory as it should be,

yet given you have a look at the wikihelp it almost does all it ought to with little to no extra

work.

I had a hard time when I thought about not using revit files as an input. I used Inventor assem-

blies and I soon got to know that it´s helpful to name the groups built  in Inventor according

to the order you like them to appear. Shelve one, two, three ect. Given you consider this

it´s just one click to get Navisworks to key their construction. I love to share 🙂

Spoken of support, its a little shallow I guess. Sure it´s a pro bono forum, yet Autodesk should at

least tell the people if there is a solution. If this solution has to be bought, well that´s how it is.

But if there is no solution at all, each minute saved waiting for an answer means a minute dedi-

cated to a different solution is won.

I tried to find details on a Navisworks script exporting Timeliner to MAX. I know there´s a solution.

But it disappeared with the guy that wrote the script in 2011. The AU class overview has been pre-

serverd, but nothing on the script. On top of this, the guy does not work for his old employer any-

more and the people there don´t have an address where to forward my request to.

At least I know it can be done and I will have a look at how scripts in Navisworks work. Perhaps I

can even team up with those looking for the same stuff. As I don´t have a copy of Revit available

I can´t look up the data structure just like that to see how to rearrange Navisworks output to fit the

Revit pattern. I think it is as simple as reformatting a Text, but I don´t have had the time yet.

Just the linking of a Navisworks FBX which is imported to MAX to a Revit file based on the CSV

for Navisworks I guess. As soon as it´s saved to a computer it can be done.

Good post though 🙂

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report