Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split large Navisworks file to multiple small files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ankursinghal
5227 Views, 3 Replies

Split large Navisworks file to multiple small files

I am currently working on a very large highrise project for General Contractor. Using Navisworks Manage, we merge multiple trade files in their original format to a single NWD file for clash detection. This is done by floor. After coordination, I want to push the model to IPad on Autodesk 360 Glue for my field team. This where the problem starts.

Due to the file size, IPad cannot handle one full floor plan at a time. I need to split the file in to smaller files by areas/views that match drawing areas. So far, I have not found any option on Navisworks or third party software to do so.

I do not want to reinvent the wheel and publish all model files in different format and reassemble them.

Any ideas or suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

The only way I know is the following: instead of merging all files into one NWD, create different NWD's.

Determine of each CAD file to which NWD it should belong, and append it to only one of the NWD's

To have the complete overview:

create a new NWF file and append the different NWD's to that.

Make the Clash detections in (copies of) this nwf.

Message 3 of 4
alexisDVJML
in reply to: ankursinghal

If your iPad viewer support .dwf, select the parts you want to export, hide all the other ones and export as .dwf. The resulting .dwf file will only include the visible items.
If your iPad viewer support only .nwd, no issue, just open previously generate .dwf into Navisworks and save as .nwd, job done 😉
However you will loose textures and some properties so not sure it will fit your requirements.

Main Scientist, Full Stack Developer & When Time Permits Director of IDIGO ► On your marks, Set, Go
Message 4 of 4
ethvedt
in reply to: ankursinghal

This is EXACTLY what i want also.  Why is such a common sense feature not available? Field staff need to see this model as well and ipads just do not have the power to view large complex models. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report