Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing list of matches when using Quick Find

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
thniels
289 Views, 4 Replies

Showing list of matches when using Quick Find

When searching a Simulate scene with Quick Find, is there anywhere I can see the list of matches? The only panel I can find that comes close is the Selection Inspector which shows the currently selected item, i.e. the current element of the search matches. Is the entire stack of elements accessible?

The details are these: In order to seach among PDS Quick Properties, we need to use Quick Find as it supports free text search necessary to locate kay/value elements often not identifiable by a unique key.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: thniels

There are 2 different ways:

First, if your PDS Component data are published well into DRV files, and your Navisworks can read them, you should see al the PDS properties in the Selection Tree -> Properties -> PDS Component Data -> and further on.

There you can browse and see what LineID or Line_Number_Label are present in Navisworks.

Browsing this tree is a kind of search and selecting something in the tree will select it so you can use the "Page Down" key to zoom into it.

If the properties are not there, then you should check the DRV files and the way they are created by PDS.

Secondly ther is the Quick Find, but it only finds one thing at the time, as far as i know.

But thirdly, there is the "Find Items" window, in combination with the "Sets". Pin both windows on your screen.

Also the Selection Tree and the Properties window should be visible.

In the Find window, make a Query like PDS Component Data | Line_ID | Contains | "Your free text"

Execute it using the "Find All" button

In the normal Properties window, nothing is shown, but it mentions "105 Items selected" if 105 items match your query.

Now press the 1st button in the Sets window "Save Selection" and give it a name

And so you have the set of all items that match "Your free text" search creterium.

(beware, if you are in an NWF and the PDS models get an update, you need to re-query and re-save the selection to update the set)

so you go to the Selection Tree -> Sets to activate that selection and "Hide Unselected" and Zoom in and so on.

It is not so easy to use as the Quick Find, but it has much more possibilities.

Message 3 of 5
thniels
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

Yes, those are the methods we use already. The problem with these models is that attributes being searched for can be set on any number of tags, thus the Find Sets will not work because it can only handle fixed tags - not search across them. The shere number of elements makes browsing the properties panel rather unmanageable but, alas, the only option it appears.

But, I think that it is safe to assume, given your reply, that these *are* the ways to do it, however short they fall. The next step will be to normalise the DRV files prior to import and solve the problem with Find Sets that way.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
thniels

Still funny, though, that the Quick Find doesn't have a match list somewhere. If it had, it would solve the problem just like that.
Message 5 of 5
Patrick_Aps_9121

Indeed, "normalize your DRV files" and/or take a look at your PDS label definition of the Labels in the 300-range.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report