Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saved Viewpoints and Viewpoints report are different

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mickiebims
1041 Views, 7 Replies

Saved Viewpoints and Viewpoints report are different

My saved viewports show up correctly I can pop back and forth between them with hidden items remaining hidden etc.  However when I generate a viewpoints report the screenshots are not correct.  It's like everything is at the default view level with items not being hidden etc.  Any ideas?

See Attached Screenshot

-Mick

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
aguitton116
in reply to: mickiebims

I can confirm this behavior in Navisworks Manage 2015 12.3.0.115750 (SP3) with factory tools. In fact it saves the viewpoints with the latest state of hidden object. I just tried with 2 viewpoints, one with something hidden and the second with everything visible. If I have the first viewpoint active (hidden objects) when I export the report, this object is hidden on each viewpoint screenshot. If I export my report with the second viewpoint active (everything visible), everything is visible on each viewpoint. This might be something to correct.
Message 3 of 8

Ok, back to the Basics:
First, in your options -> Interface -> Viewpoint Defaults check if "Override Appearance" is marked or not.
if not, switch it on and restart your Navisworks.
When it is switched on, from that moment on, all Viewpoints that are saved or updated with this Navisworks will hold the information which objects are hidden, transparent or have colour overrides.

Now comes the Tricky Part:
But this setting is in the Registry, so it can and will be different for each user and each computer. By default after a new installation, it is switched off.
So if different people have been saving viewpoints in the same NWF or NWD, you have viewpoints with and without Override Information in the same NWF.
If you activate viewpoints with Override Information, half of your model can disappear or reappear. If you activate one without Override Information, nothing changes, everything stays (in) visible like it was, so it depends on the previous viewpoint whether the objects are visible or not.
So before starting with viewpoints with Override Informations, it is a good Practice to save a "starting point" viewpoint that shows everything in the "normal" situation, whatever that may be in your model. Be sure to Save or Update this "Starting Point" viewpoint after the Option is set.
You might also set this "starting point" as the Home view of the ViewCube, but activating that DOES NOT honour the overrides, to my knowledge, at least not in Manage 2015 SP2 (12.2.0.114753)

This may come as a Surprise:  the Override information is NOT stored in an export Viewpoints XML.
The Redlining and Comments are, but the Override Information is not. Simply open the XML in Internet Explorer or an XML editor and you will find NONE of the info there. So the behaviour you describe is not caused by the export or import XML, but by the Tricky Part of this post.
This information is stored in the NWF or NWD file itself.

Message 4 of 8

Ok so from what I understand it's normal but what setting are you talking about in the registry, I didn't understand ?
Message 5 of 8

I'm talking about

Options -> Interface -> Viewpoint Defaults check if "Override Appearance" is marked or not.

Most options are saved in the registry.

Message 6 of 8

I'm having the same problem. The "Save Attributes: Hide/Required & Override Appearance" are turned on, both on the Options menu and on the Viewpoints themselves, however, when I export the Viewpoints (Report) to HTML, all the Viewpoints are exported with the last selected viewpoint appearance settings, which renders this function useless.

Any help?

Message 7 of 8
LAguirre
in reply to: andremonteiro

Still having this problem in Navis 2023. 

Message 8 of 8

same issue with NW Sim. 2024, Update1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report