Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review PDMS Model in Navisworks

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
32670 Views, 10 Replies

Review PDMS Model in Navisworks

there are two questions about Reviewing PDMS model in Navisworks

1,when import PDMS model (*.RVM) model into Navisworks,the color is not the same as the original model.

for example,in original model,the color of pipe is red,whille after importing into Navisworks,the color maybe white.

so if there is any solution to  make the  color to be the same.Or if there is any wrong action?

2,if we wanto read the attribute of PDMS model,we can export them into a *.att file,but when we review PDMS model in Navisworks,the attribute is half-baked,many attributes are lost.

what cause it happen?If there is any wrong action when export the *.att file?

Thanks in advance.

rong.li@dms365.com

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dacurry52
in reply to: 19820415

I'm also trying to find a color map for Navisworks.  So far I have only been able to export to Navisworks colors 101-107.  Any other number I try produces gray.  The colors that do map are not the same as the colors being exported.  If anyone has a color map for Navisworks, it would really be a big help.  We are not requiring a mapping of texture maps, just a simple mapping to get the color for red in PDMS to be red in Navisworks and so forth.

I am also trying out the import of attribute information, and will be trying to use the datal method since we need to get data from selected parts of the heirarchy and not just the current element.  What I've seen so far isn't very useful to us either.

Message 3 of 11
dacurry52

After doing a little digging around, I've found out that Navis looks for a file called colors.txt. It is located in your windows user directory under Application Data\...Navisworks...\rvm.  This directory may be hidden on your system.  The file defines a PDMS color and a mapping to a named color at the top of the file, the how the color is defined in Navisworks using a Percent RGB value is defined in the lower portion of the file.  Do an internet search for 'percent RGB' and you should get some on-line references that help out with defining colors.  The only problem I ran into is that colors don't match exactly what you see in PDMS.  For example Percent RGB for the color 'Brown' looks more like Reddish Brown.  There are a couple of sample files provided with Navisworks Review that can be used as a basis for developing a color translation file.

Message 4 of 11
in reply to: dacurry52

i have copied the colors.txt file to my local folder:Application Data\...Navisworks...\rvm

but then when i open Rvm file,it's still the same.

All models display as grey.

Is there any other settings?

Best regards

Rong.li

Message 5 of 11
dacurry52

It sounds like you still have to set up some rules in PDMS Design to get the colors in Navisworks.

The particular pull-down menu you need is Utilities>Export>Create... or Modify.

Attached are a couple of screen shots with some further instructions.

Message 6 of 11

Only numbers 0 thro 100 are available to define the colours used in the color definitions in the colors.txt file. Navisworks uses a range of 0 thro 255 which is one of the reasons why we expereince problems with matching colours between the two applications.

One way around this is when the RVM file (and attributes) have been converted and saved as a NWD file. Create an NWF that refrences the NWD. Set your required colours in the NWF (color override). if the NWD is regenerated from a newer version of the RVM, the colours should still be set and used when opening the NWF (so long as the file name remains constant).

The main downside of this is :

Any users using Freedom, cannot open NWF files.

The colours appear to be set at primative level, any colours set at zone level do not filter through to new components. (hope that makes sense).

Message 7 of 11
udayaprakesh

HI good evening to all, i dont know to convert pdms to Navis ,please abody help to me

Thanks 

Udaya

Message 8 of 11
dgorsman
in reply to: udayaprakesh

Search here for using Navisworks to view RVM files.  Your AVEVA support contacts can help you with generating RVMs from PDMS.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 11
timasirin

Hi,

there are a method to extract RVM file from PDMS automaticaly without usinf macro??

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Message 10 of 11
chan_tnx

hi,

I've been using the method of defining colors from pdms to navis, but i can't figure out how to set the transparency automatically,

I would like to set certain items such as volumes and access to be transparent when I extract from pdms, 

may i ask the procedure on how to do it?

thanks!

Message 11 of 11

A simple method would be to set the transparency in an NWF file that references the original NWD

Regards.

Steve Henshall
Senior Engineer, CAE Systems
Simon Carves Engineering Ltd.
Simon House, Atlas Park, Simonsway, Manchester, M22 5PR, United Kingdom
Direct Tel: +44(0) 161 718 4591 Switchboard Tel: +44(0) 161 718 4400 Mobile: +44(0) 7852130559
www.simoncarveseng.com

If you are not required to maintain a printout for legal or audit purposes, please consider the environment before printing this email.
The information in this email and any attachments may contain privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If the reader of this email is not the intended addressee, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me by telephone or email and delete all copies immediately. Simon Carves Engineering Ltd is a company registered in England & Wales under number 7596746. The firm's registered office and principal place of business is at Simon House, Atlas Park, Simonsway, Manchester, M22 5PR

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report