Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering and animation export

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Logos_Atum
4257 Views, 8 Replies

Rendering and animation export

Hello there,

I´m in a little trouble because of a Navisworks and/or user malfunction. I asked a related

question some time ago.Here´s the description of what I have to deal with still:

I have prepared a timeliner animation and linked a simple viewport animation to it. When

previewing the animation everything looked fine.

I therefore I decided to render it. How to put this...

- Fixed pixel dimension input caused Navisworks to crash. After testing the other options

I found out only using the actual window size for rendering worked, non the matter which

renderer I used. The Autodesk renderer crashed in 7 out of of ten cases when rendering,

which gives you a good idea of how frustrated I am at the moment.

- Only the uncompressed AVI output option works, XVid crashes too, despite of the fact other

applications do fine with the video compressor. Therefore I end up with about 4.4 GB for roughly

90 seconds. Thanks to the awkward screen format, standard video players seem to have a hard

time with the file. It also is possible that the 4GB cap took it´s toll, because I ended up with this.

Looks like YUV colour interaced video displayed on a RBG system.I thought it´s because of the

image format, but no- think again: after 10 seconds everything looks fine, but now the start is

missing and I pretty much waited for the renderer to finish for 5 days and got nothing out of it.

malfunction.png

I used virtual Dub to cut the portions out that seem to work and I will recompress it to Xvid content

by using virtual dub too, but honestly I need to rely on Navisworks rendering what I want in the re-

solution I want when I want it and therefore I need a guideline concerning supported video compres-

sors. Testing takes too much time and if the only working option results in something like indicated

earlier it´s just not possible to rely on Navisworks.

I´m sick of the alert window indication that the target file can´t be opened, and honestly I am not wil-

ling to use the Microsoft video 1 compressor, for the obvious reasons, size, quality, resolution ect. With-

out some Dub smarts I would´nt even be able to make use of at least a part of the video file.

Which settings will render what I want the way I want it, without the need to worry about a corrupted

output file after days of waiting? Oh and apart from that the render progress bar is nowhere near to ex-

act. It stayed at 99.9 % for about a day. I know the sequence is getting more complicated as we are get-

ting neared to the end, but come on... a day?

I need support on this issue dearly and I will provide all the detail needed to get this going.

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Logos_Atum
in reply to: Logos_Atum

I forgot to mention two issues:

- Timeline was wrong in the video - the start of the video displayed the end of the video.

- Uncompressed video still looks skewed after recompression (Handbrake, X264)

That´s about it...

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 3 of 9
dgorsman

Not following most of the problems, but I *think* your main problem is rendering direct to video.  Render to frames, then compile the frames to video.  Far more reliable and easier to work with when editing together the final cut.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 9
Logos_Atum
in reply to: dgorsman

Hello there,

yes that makes sense. When using Max as a renderer I used to compile the animation with virtual dub lateron.

Also this approach will give me better control.

On the other hand the video output should work fine when using stock settings. And the jump in the timeline

can´t be excused I guess.

Thanks for the hint 🙂

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 5 of 9
dgorsman

Direct to video in Navisworks is like direct to video movies - low quality only.  🙂

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 9
Logos_Atum

Kind of cheesy ^^

Best regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 7 of 9
LyleHardin

Same is happening to me. Whether I render to video or jpeg frames, the "Working..." box gets to 69.4% and hangs telling me it's Rendering image. I'm on Navisworks Manage 2017.

Message 8 of 9
PAyre

Agree that for quality output use frames, but otherwise, if you need some quick (or long) video I've never had a problem with XVid as long as I keep the frame size to a HD standard eg 1920x1080. A simple thing but seems to work.

Message 9 of 9
Logos_Atum

Hello PAyre,

agreed, the Xvid home setting works very well in most cases. Given we keep the aspect ratio in mind the quality is very good, even when resolutions higher than full HD are desired.

Even though tweaking the rendered frame size by means of Navisworks registry entries, results in a reset of the latter to 2048 by 2048 pixels (NTSC pixels maybe?)

Since there is no need to switch between fast motion and regular codecs anymore, considering sequence by sequence is obsolete too.

Using virtual dub in the first place, is working fine still, even though Premiere and Adobe's media encoder offer - apart from different uncompressed bitmap file formats- cl supported (...*) production rendering.

Even Photoshop does that nowadays.

The Xvid presets never failed me, unless I did a box capture of a screen, yet that's a cell size issue I assume.

Kind regards

Daniel
Dogs aren´t flammable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report