Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ReCap Point cloud does not export to Freedom file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
LyleHardin
2924 Views, 6 Replies

ReCap Point cloud does not export to Freedom file

We have a real nice interiour point cloud that I've massaged with ReCap to remove some existing equipment.

I appended the ReCap point cloud and new equipment (from AutoCAD) into Navisworks. Looks great!

When I Publish it to send to a client, the Point Cloud does not show up in the published Freedom file. It's there as an entity to select but only the bounding box is showing, not the points. The file is curiously small.

How can I get the point cloud to show up in a published file that Navisworks Freedom Viewer can see?

I'm trying again by importing the pts file rather than the ReCap file, but it's taking forever (6 gig pts file). 

Off to lunch!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tim.wiegand
in reply to: LyleHardin

Freedom support for ReCap is something we weren't able to implement in time for the current release. We're certainly thinking about it for future releases.

The NWD file contains links to ReCap files. If you open the NWD in Manage or Simulate it will try to open the linked ReCap files. Currently Freedom will just show some proxy graphics (a wire frame cube).

You can display points in Freedom by opening the original scan file directly in Navisworks and publishing to NWD but it will take a long time to convert and performance and display quality will not be as good as going via ReCap.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 3 of 7
LyleHardin
in reply to: tim.wiegand

Thanks Tim, that's the conclusion I came to. I just had to import the original .pts file into Navisworks.  Then I imported the 3D Model from AutoCAD (which came from Revit). When I published from Navisworks, everything showed up in Freedom very nicely.

I did like using ReCap to remove points from the cloud. I also tried exporting my edited cloud from ReCap to a .pts file, but Navisworks would not import that .pts file due to some error that I currently don't recall nor wish to take the time to recreate right now. I tried it a couple of times though with the same error.

I just had to live with those original points in our Freedom file.

I found ReCap initially cumbersome to work with, but once I got the hang of it (particularly re orienting the UCS and removing points) I found it to be a valuable tool.

Lyle

Message 4 of 7
lisa.tuttle
in reply to: tim.wiegand

I can see the point cloud in freedom but my associates can't see it in freedom.  Why can I view it but nobody else can?  I am using 2014.

Message 5 of 7
LyleHardin
in reply to: lisa.tuttle

Where does the point cloud reside? On the network? On your computer? Even after exporting a Navisworks file to a Freedom file (.nwd) the Freedom file will need to be able to 'see' or find the point cloud. Is this maybe what's going on? Do your associates get a reference file notification when they open the file?

Message 6 of 7
lisa.tuttle

The point cloud is on the network.  My associates do not get any kind of message asking them to resolve anything.  All they see is a box where the cloud resides instead of the points.  But when I open the same file it looks great.  Is there any kind of setting that might be on my computer but not theirs that allows me to see it but not them?

Lisa

Message 7 of 7
dgorsman

Stupid question time: is everybody on the same version?  Same SP?  If so, you might try exporting the contents of your Options settings for them to try importing (after they export their own current settings of course; just in case they need to go back to the original state).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report