Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem loading Z+F file

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
thniels
2622 Views, 8 Replies

Problem loading Z+F file

We have a problem with one installation of Navisworks Simulate 2011 reporting the attached error...

Failed to load via NoW64 (hr = 0x80004005)

Error code: 32771

I can open the file in question from other computers. The file is a point cloud in Z+F format. Well, one thing is the error. Another is the meaning of the error. What exactly is Navisworks reporting here? The return value 0x80004005 is a good old access denied, but what about the rest?

- Thomas Nielsen

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: thniels

Maybe the Z+F is 32-bits.

Try to create an NWD of the point cloud on a 32-bits machine

Message 3 of 9
JeffH_ADSK

Hi Thomas

The NOW64 & error code references are internal reporting values that essentially mean that the file failed to create an NWC via out-of-process loading.

In 64-bit, certain file loaders are simply not available as native 64-bit libraries, so we run an additional 32-bit process (NOW64) to use the loader outside of 64-bit Roamer. As a result, there is some indirection, including in the error messages.

The error code means 'Cache creation failed' so the file converted successfully, but the writing of the NWC file that is then loaded into Roamer has failed.

Unfortunately the main hr simply means in this case 'Unspecified error'.

Depending on your NWC write cache setting in Global Options, it will either have been writing the file to your temporary directory (option off) or next to the CAD file (option on).

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 4 of 9
thniels

Thanks guys. We are trying a few permutations to see if something helps. 'be gettin' back...

Message 5 of 9
thniels

For your information this error is still present in Navisworks 2012. Z+F are being informed of this too.

Message 6 of 9
chris.a.perry
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

I currently have hundreds of scans that I can't view in Navisworks due to 32bit limitations of the Z+F loader.

So, Autodesk, being that laser scans are getting more precise, and more detailed, and therefore require larger file sizes, and more ram utilization, are there plans to create a 64bit Z+F loader? Or is the loader a 3rd party plugin?

Message 7 of 9

Hi all,

I've just seen this topic and hopefully I can offer some help. I work for LFM Software Ltd, who supply laser scanning solutions including CAD links to Autodesk products. LFM develops products that manage point cloud data, and the .zfc format is one that we produce.

Chris,

I believe the .zfc files are loaded via a third party .dll that is supplied by LFM Software.

It sounds like the error is either with the .dll version that Autodesk are using, or a problem with the .dll that we are supplying for the 64bit version of Navisworks. We realeased a .dll to Autodesk in Q4 2010, but I don't know if a later one has been requested/issued. If you are continuing to have problems, please contact support@lfm-software.com and we will help find a solution.

We do have a direct CAD link between LFM and Navisworks which may be suitable. If you need any further information, please let me know.

Thomas,

You mentioned that you were contacting Z+F to raise this issue. I realise this was August 2011 and you may have long forgotten, but from what I can tell the problem only occurred using Z+F Imager 5010 data. Is this still true? I understand there have been changes to the Z+F 5010 .zfs scan format since then.

Jeff,

If there is any way that we can collaborate to solve this please let me know.

Kind regards,

Martin Kerfoot

Application Consultant

LFM Software Ltd

Message 8 of 9

So, an update...

The probelm does indeed appear to be connected to the LFM supplied DLL that comes with Navisworks (that appears to likely be outdated even in 2013). Two distinct issues are related to the version of DLL be used: An inability to load larger scans due to 32bit limitations of the loader, and an inability to translate newer scans correctly, resulting in a coning effect on the display of the scan in Navisworks.

LFM instructed me to contact Autodesk with the issue, which I did. It appears this fix would require a significant enough change in the software that they have requested me to present a business case for it. Understandable I suppose, but I would hope during each build, Autodesk would utilize the latest 3rd party DLLs available.

I am currently running a demo license of the LFM to Navisworks link. It works great, very happy with it, and it will be a good addition for our designers to assist in the modeling process. However, it doesn't appear to help with distributing the laser scan to non-designers in functions with view-only requirements (engineers, project managers, construction, etc). LFM Netview might in the end be the best answer, but I don't yet know for certain.

Chris

Message 9 of 9

To elaborate on this...

A ticket has been submitted to support@lfm-sortware.com in the past (I missed it) and the problem is with Z+F 5010 scans only. Navisworks does not have the latest version of the .dll required.

I understand this is currently being acted upon by both Autodesk and LFM so hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

Chris,

It is correct that the LFM CAD link will not work with Navisworks Freedom, as the API is not available in the free version.

I'm glad to hear you're having success with the CAD link, and trying out LFM NetView.

Regards,

Martin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report