Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preemptively hiding elements in an NWF file

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
thniels
585 Views, 5 Replies

Preemptively hiding elements in an NWF file

We have a situation where an NWF file is getting bigger and bigger, to the point where it gets time consuming to load. Most users need to have all elements shown while a few would like to have certain large elements hidden before loading the file, to increase performance. Is this possible without creating two separate NWF files?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: thniels

Hidden elements are still loaded, so I don't think that will reduce loading time.  It will only help a little with navigating in the model.

I've had extremely large (both in file size and number/complexity of faces) models load quite quickly, and without navigation slowness.  What hardware and OS is being used?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 6
thniels
in reply to: dgorsman

Ah, perhaps you are right. We are running Win 7 x64 / 8GB RAM (HP Elitebook workstations). The files can be rather large when combined. The one being looked into right now contains a number of point clouds and takes appr. 15 minutes to load without resolving references.

Message 4 of 6
dgorsman

8 GB is what I'd consider scraping the bottom of the barrel - what I'd give a supervisor who does more scheduling and managing than technical work.  12 - 16 GB is what we have on designers workstations, and things are pretty zippy even with multiple applications (including Navisworks) running.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 6
Patrick_Aps_9121

Don't append point clouds "in advance". Create an NWD without the point clouds and an seperate NWD per point cloud. Let the users make their own NWF that loads the 1st NWD and then they have to append and delete the NWD's of the point cloud they need. Hinding Point clouds does not increase performance.
Message 6 of 6
thniels
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

We often do it that way but in this case we can't. The files are generated from different sources round robin and by persisting them in NWD we risk working in outdated files. No, I think more RAM is the better option in this scenario (and I am sure the one option that the users would applaud the most). A good tip nonetheless.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report