Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Cloud color intensity issues

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
markd
5952 Views, 8 Replies

Point Cloud color intensity issues

I seem to be having issues with points only showing up in one color when importing into navisworks. I have tried importing ASCII and PTS files directly. I have also imported DWG files with the point data included. I have tried all the different check boxes located in the global settings. No matter what setting is used the points are a single color. If the scans were done with images, and I colorize them when I register with Cyclone, then the points come is with true color with no issues. But I have areas we scanned at night with no images and all of those scans come in single color only. Is there a work around for this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
markd
in reply to: markd

Update, I did get the pts file to import with intensity values, but the orientation is not correct. Z is not up. If I look at the top view of my cloud, it is the front view in navisworks. Is there a setting for this? I need to keep my point cloud relative to my georeferenced models.

Message 3 of 9
markd

Replying to my own questions....haha.

For some reason I have to go into transformation setting for each pts file imported, since default reads meters and I can't find any global settings for pts units during import. But seems to work well using pts files directly once settings are adjusted.

Message 4 of 9
LyleHardin

How did you get the points to come in with intensity values?

We are bringing in Leica .pts ascii files with intensity values and they are coming in white.

If it were AutoCAD, I'd change the view style, but don't see that option in Navisworks.

Message 5 of 9
markd

In Navisworks, you need to do 2 things when importing points. First one is to append an dwg file to designate the z as up. For some reason when I load a point cloud file without doing this, the cloud does not respect the Z axis as up.

For the color, you need to right click on the screen and select Global Options, select File Readers, select Leica. To the right you will see several options. Select Color-Mapped Intensity for the color. Select the sample rate at this point also. If you want the all the points to load, select 1. If you only want 50% of the points to load (if working with a large data set) select 2. The higher the number the lesser number of points will load. You will have to adjust this value and refresh (which reloads the points) if you want to change from color to intensity. Kind of a pain. I usually load one of each and publish them out to nwd files to load either style I need at the time.

Also, once loaded into Navisworks, you will need to select the cloud and right click and select units and transform. My settings always load the cloud in meters. I have to set the units of the cloud to feet since all my drawings are in feet. Then you will see they will overlay you model and civil 3d data when created in the same coordinates.

Mark

Message 6 of 9
cla62

This used to work in Navisworks 2009.  You could import the pts file, set z up, save the nwd and all was well.  Now you have to have a dwg loaded first in order for the point clouds to be oriented properly.  Annoying - because I don't always want to load in a dwg.

Message 7 of 9
andrew.grigg

Thanks for this information, I'm sure it is correct - but my PTS is still white after appending. Any ideas?

The PTS definately has colour, as it opens fine in Pointools. I've never had this issue before.

I've set Leica to Colour-Mapped-Intensity in file readers and refreshed, reloaded Navisworks etc.. but it just aint happening.

Do you have any other ideas up your sleeve?

Thanks,

Message 8 of 9
markd

If you already imported the points once you will have an nwc for the point cloud already. Sometimes you need to delete that file then reimport the points since the color option is only respected when the points are first imported.

Message 9 of 9
andrew.grigg

Thanks!

I noticed that to get the scanner colours though, I needed to set to Colour, rather than Colour Mapped Intensity.

Thanks all for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report