Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plugin loaded, but no add-in tab - how do I get the add-in tab to show?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
McSwiller
1696 Views, 4 Replies

Plugin loaded, but no add-in tab - how do I get the add-in tab to show?

Hi,

I've compiled the basic plugin for NW Manage 2011 exactly as given in the doc, and I've copied the proper file structure to the installation directory. I've also compiled it with .Net Framework 3.5 as the target framework. If I attach my Visual Studio (2010) debugger to the roamer.exe process, I can even see that the plugin even seems to be loaded in Manage... But there is no add-in tab available on the ribbon (not even hidden). What can I do to get a plug-in to run in Manage? Please help - thanks.

-Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
saikat
in reply to: McSwiller

Hi Mike:

Just to be sure, can you please ensure that the folder containing the plugin assembly has the same name as the assembly itself. For example, for an assembly 'Abc.Def.dll' create the folder with the name 'Abc.Def'. I did a quick check on my system and found that if the name of the plugin assembly folder (within PlugIns folder) is different from that of the assembly contained in it, it does not even show up the add-in tab in the UI if there are no other plug-in folders. Could this be the case? Can you please check and let us know.

Another check could be to setup any of the SDK samples and see if they show up ok in the Add-in tab in the UI. If they do, that means there is some specific problem with the plug-in assembly setup only.

Can you probably create a minimal VS project with say a dialog box in it and one which too has the same problem of not showing up in the UI. If you can forward that minimal VS project via this post, I will be more than happy to investigate further.

thanks

Saikat

Saikat Bhattacharya
Senior Manager - Technology Consulting
Message 3 of 5
McSwiller
in reply to: saikat

Thanks for the reply Saikat. What you said tripped something, and I tried recompiling the sample with the old VS 2008 setup I still had on my PC. After compiling it with that, it finally showed up in the add-ins tab. So, that'll definitely serve as a workaround, but there must be something in the conversion of projects to VS 2010 that stymies the functionality somehow. (I'm still using the same targeted framework on both versions: 3.5)

Any thoughts as to what must be changed  - can you replicate the issue if you try to convert one of the projects with VS 2010?

Message 4 of 5
saikat
in reply to: McSwiller

Hi Mike: I dont have any good news for you unfortunately. I used one of the plugin samples (from api\bin) folder. It is a VS 2008 project and it was set up to show under the addins tab. I then migrated the VS project to work in VS 2010 (with same .NET framework of 3.5) and after running the migrated sample from VS 2010, i was still able to see the plugin in the Addins tab and also debug through it.

WOuld it be possible to create a minimal buildable VS (2008/2010) project which is not loading up on your addins tab and i will be happy to take further look.

regards

Saikat

Saikat Bhattacharya
Senior Manager - Technology Consulting
Message 5 of 5
yhu6
in reply to: saikat

Thank you. Your message saved me. 

"ensure that the folder containing the plugin assembly has the same name as the assembly itself"

It is still right for the 2020 version

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report