Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a file over a network

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
swarochisa
276 Views, 3 Replies

Opening a file over a network

Hello,

I trying to open the same nwd file on 3 different computers over a network . All 3 computers will be running the file at the same time.I haven't done this yet but I don't think this would a problem. My question as the file is located on just one computer , will any change ,made on the computer, reflect on the remaning two? or would there be a problem?  

Thanks,

Swarochisa.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

This is completely depending on the used versions and settings.
1) be sure to use the same version and Service Pack of Navisworks. No mixing of 2014 SP1 with 2015 SP3 or anything in that manner.
2) is some users are menat to only use Freedom, only give them Read access on the network location. That reduces problems. In my set up, only I have write rights, all viewers have only read rights and should use "save as" if they want to save comments.
3) on all simulate and Manage installations, for each user, check the options -> Model -> Performance: "Close NWC/NWD file on Load". When swichted OFF, the NWD file gets "locked" by the 1st user opening it, causing him to be able to save his changes. Others can only use Save As. When Swichted ON, i'm not sure what will happen, but my guess is "last one wins"
Message 3 of 4

All the instances of Navisworks will create a cache file.... will it be named individually?

If not- it could turn out be a real problem.

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 4 of 4

Oh, yes, it is also depending of what type of file you are opening over the network. In case this is an NWD or NWC file, my first reply is ok.
In case you are opening other file types, the first one will create NWC cache files and the others will use those files, I guess.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report