Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWD vs NWF

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
850 Views, 2 Replies

NWD vs NWF

Hello!

I am Navisworks newbie! I'd like to know what is difference between NWD and NWF files? I've searched on internet for this answer, but would like to know practical usage of each? When we are supposed to use each of them?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: Anonymous

An NWF file is for startens, an empty file with lots of different 3D models attached. If some of these models change (new things are added) you see that if you open the NWF. You need Simulate or Manage to open the NWF.
In the NWF you can determine how the 3D models are shown (hide, change colours, render, move items....) all these settings are also stored in the NWF.
Then, finally, you can save the NWF as an NWD.

The NWD are all 3D models (on that point in time) combined into one file. You only need freedom to view that NWD file.

Message 3 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are familiar with AutoCAD, think of an NWF as a drawing file with nothing but XREFs.  Like XREFs it can override settings for color/on,off/etc., adjust relative positions, and update with changes to the loaded files.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report