Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks section Plan through Revit model can't see the wall boundary

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Arch_art
901 Views, 6 Replies

Navisworks section Plan through Revit model can't see the wall boundary

Hi there,

Let me try to explain this. I do a section cut based on top view through the model, and then look at the top view of the model (using ortho viewcube), trying to get a plan view much like a 2D drawing that you can see in Revit. But when doing this way, the Revit model (in Navisworks) don't show the wall boundary or can't see the difference between the wall and floor. The type of structure we dealing with is like concrete tanks with dividing walls, not complecated.

Is this possible? Is there anything missing or we could have done wrong when export nwc file from revit? currently runing Revit 2014 and Navisworks 2014, but I think to us, it has been like this since earlier versions. I am thinking there must be a way that we can do this.

Please help.

Best Regards

Peggy Lin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
IanBadcoe
in reply to: Arch_art

Hi Peggy,

Could you supply some screen-shots showing what it looks like and what it should look like please?

Thanks,

Ian

Message 3 of 7
Arch_art
in reply to: IanBadcoe

Hi Ian,

Look at this top view in Ortho, can't see the wall at all, it is blend together with floor.

Capture.PNG

You will have to change the view angle a bit to see it

Capture_2.PNG

I have tried to change the lighting, render mode, nothing help. checked the setting of Revit and nwc... can't seem to find anything that can make the ortho top view useful. Can Navisworks do this?

Cheers,

Peggy Lin

Message 4 of 7
Patrick_Aps_9121

No wonder, it's all grey.
I suggest you change the color of the floors into something else, and then your walls will stay grey in your plan view, making the difference visible.
Message 5 of 7
Arch_art
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

Hi there,

Thanks for the comment. I am fully aware of that. But I don't really want it to be in different color. It looked very good in other view only not in top view. It can be done this way doesn't mean it is good way. The model will be viewed by different parties with different level of Navisworks skills. And I don't want to do too much changes with just colors with every version of model changes (imaging revit model is being updated every day). I just think Navisworks is review product, it should make this easier not harder. This type of work should be reduced. Maybe this should be in the wish list if changing color is the only way.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 6 of 7
Patrick_Aps_9121

You can use Selection Sets and Display Styles in Navisworks to change the colour based on properties and queries, so that the change is applied automatically when the model gets updated.

If the surfaces have the same properties (or material) and lighting, it is normal that they do not display differently.

Another possibility is to apply or display the materials used, so to start rendering this view, in Navisworks but i'm not sure that's the way you want to go.

The easiest is to have the floor changed of material or colour in Revit itself.

Message 7 of 7
Arch_art
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

Thanks Patrick,

That is what I was suspecting. Changing the color or chaning the materials, but I hope that is not the only answer to this question.

Since the type of structure we dealing with are not really building. There is not always perfect situation that I can use search set to get all I needed, nor I can't train all of Revit user to watch out on how they catagorize every item as they modelled, sometimes, it is a bit of gray area.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Best Regards,

Peggy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report