Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks NWC Export Utility

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
fredrik.schlau
4237 Views, 6 Replies

Navisworks NWC Export Utility

Hi!

I need som help! I have AutoCad 2013 vith the Autodesk Navisworks NWC Export Utility 2013 installed.
In a project the architect is using Navis 2012 for coordination, but they can´t use our NWC-files made with 2013.
In AutoCad 2013 i have changed to "Save as 2010" by default, but i cant find any setting to change in what format the NWC-file is saved in, obviously it´s the wrong format för Navis 2012......

Hope somebody can help me with a solution for this problem.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: fredrik.schlau

you can't save down a .nwc file

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

But i have both NWC Export Utility 2013 and NWC Export Utility 2012 installed, but i cant choose wich one to use!?

Message 4 of 7
JeffH_ADSK

Hi there,

In the general case, if you install both the NW2012 exporters & the NW2013 exporters, AutoCAD should prompt you at NWCOUT as to which NWCOUT command you want to use (e.g. in AutoCAD 2011 you should get Navisworks2012.nwcout and Navisworks2013.nwcout).

However, in your case, you are using a product that did not exist when NW2012 was released, and so there is no NWCOUT for AutoCAD 2013 that is from the NW2012 product group.

The remaining alternative is to NWCOUT using the NW2013 exporter, and then re-save the NWC in Navisworks 2013 as a 2012 file. You could automate this using the NW2013 SP1 Batch Utilities, as in SP1 switches were added to Batch Utilities to allow specification of the file version used.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 5 of 7

I'm experiencing the same issue with an construction manager firm.

How do you "re-save the NWC in Navisworks 2013 as a 2012 file"????

Message 6 of 7
VWD-MLM

With the nwc loaded into 2013, you can Save As a 2012.nwf file..........then send that nwf to your Architect.  You cnanot save dwon an nwc file from the 2013 version....only "nwf".

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 7 of 7
JeffH_ADSK
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Strictly the NWF would only reference the NWC. I am not entirely sure that the NWC data would therefore be converted to 2012. You would probably be better off using NWDs which are intended to capture all current data rather than maintain references.

So I think the workflow would go:

Export NWC as 2013

Open NWC in Navisworks

Save as NWD 2012

Use that NWD in Navisworks 2012 as you would the original NWC if it has been from 2012.

As NWDs are a superset of NWC data, the file should work in exactly the same manner & workflow as before, just with a different extension. There's a possibility the Source Filename property might change, but it is rare that that has any impact on typical usage.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report