Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks Manage 2015 Quantification Property Mapping (Steel Weight TakeOff)

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
atobiasz
4403 Views, 9 Replies

Navisworks Manage 2015 Quantification Property Mapping (Steel Weight TakeOff)

Hello everybody, hope somebody has an idea about this problem.

I have a Revit model in Navisworks. Steel members have a Revit Type parameter called "W" (shared type parameter Number unitless in the structural group).

Navisworks shows the Revit Type Number in the properties.

I tried to map the "W" Value to the ModelWeight & Object for the file as well as for the item. If I use "=Object" in the formula there is an error message that says "Value is the wrong data type". If i use "=ModelWeight" it just returns 0 Values.

The Idea is to take the W value multiply it by the Length and divide by 2000 to get the tonnage but I am stucked at Navisworks reading the Revit Type W.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated 🙂 (see attached screenshots)

Adam T

----------------------------
Adam T.
Autodesk Enthusiast
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
atobiasz
in reply to: atobiasz

Ok i found something out after trial and error

If i change the Item map and THEN add elements to the take off item, the W value shows in the Weight column. Just changing the Item map does not update the values of existing Items. (I figured that out after trying to change "Length" to "Cut Length" Parameters)

Anybody has an idea how to update Values after changing the Mapping without having to re-add the elements ?

Adam T.
Autodesk Enthusiast
Message 3 of 10
atobiasz

So.... me again talking to myself 🙂

a little bit of a "duh" moment but using the "Change Analysis tool" in the Quantification Workbook highlights all changes made from changing the Property Mapping which than can be upodated with the Update Tool.

So problem solved I guess

Adam T.
Autodesk Enthusiast
Message 4 of 10
kirk.alloway

Adam,

I've found the exact same issue.  The change update is a good idea.  

I found this thread because I'm wondering how I save the properties (mapping) for next time.  So I created some basic element mapping and exported the catalog (xml) and brought it into a new project but there is no mapping...?  Have you had any success with this ?  First time I've tried it so I haven't exhausted efforts but any input is helpful.

Thank you,

Kirk

Message 5 of 10
atobiasz
in reply to: kirk.alloway

Hi Kirk,

I don't think there is an easy way to save the mapping easily with a save/load button; at least I don't know of a way to do that within Navisworks 2015. Since the mapping is dependent on the element loaded it is probably bound to the .nwd file.

A way that might work (not tested) is to open the .nwd you have mapped properties in, append the new model and delete the old model (you must have at least 2 models loaded to be able to delete one).

This would  require to update/delete all takeoffs and re-associate takeoff items.

This is mostly guessing without testing so hope it helps 🙂

Happy New Year

Adam T

Adam T.
Autodesk Enthusiast
Message 6 of 10
mdoyle

Saving the mapping is possible. I'm currently working on a massive template for our company. A Class A Estimate or Detailed estimate. This is copy paste from the NW help menu.

To Share Property Mapping: 

1. Create a template
    1. In Navisworks, open a model.
    2. Open Quantification Set up your project.
    3. Open the Item Catalog and map the global or individual properties for your project. See To Map Global Properties and To Map Individual Properties.
    4. Save your model as an NWD file, using a memorable name (it may be useful to call it a template). This file will form your property mapping template. If you want to use the template straight away, keep the file open in Navisworks and proceed to Step 2.
  2. Use the template
    1. Open the NWD template file created at Step 1, if not already open.
    2. On the Ribbon, click Home tab Project panel Append and browse for a project that should share the property mapping of your template.
    3. Open the Selection Tree. Notice your template file and the appended project are displayed together.
    4. Right-click your template file Delete. At the confirmation dialog, click Yes.
    5. Verify the property mapping from the template has been transferred to your new project. Do this by cross-referencing the property mapping in the Item Catalog and the Item Map Rules tab with your template file.
    6. Save your project.

Message 7 of 10
mdoyle
in reply to: mdoyle

To further this. I am experiencing difficulty generating weights from steel columns. Seems there is no parameter coming from Revit to indicate a column's length / cut length.

The simple solution to remedy this issue is to edit every column family and add a Reporting Parameter for length. I've added reporting parameters to many families. This might be a more reliable way to do it in the future. (Until some user deletes the parameter on you)

Message 8 of 10
insachins

Hey Adam, I am into similar situation now. Just wondering, what does this mean, "THEN add elements to the take off item"? I changed the item map, but it is not changing anything. I appreciate your help.
Message 9 of 10
atobiasz
in reply to: insachins

Hi insachins,

What I meant with it, is that once you change the mapping, Navisworks will fetch the right attribute values going forward. If you already took off items, then you need to be check for updated data using the "Change Analysis --> Analyze Changes" functionality and "update selected rows" to get the newly mapped valuse.

Now a days, pretty much anytime I make changes to the mapping or calculations or any aspect of quantification, I run the "analyze changes" function.

Hope that makes sense.

Adam T.
Autodesk Enthusiast
Message 10 of 10
twbim7220

Adam: 

I appreciate you document your issue, and process to solve.

Embedded quantification errors are huge issue if not recognized. 

I am in a Masters Class  - subject BIM

We have a class team structure to make a model - anlayze it - issue report

We have modeled a single family modern home

Our angle is GC inherts 2d Drawings and Has to Convert it to 3d so GC so he can benefit from BIM

My task within that team is to do the quantity take off and set it up in estimated format carrying the cost with the parametric objects

I am looking for best training video 

The path of My research drilled down in Naviswork Site does not define quantification as a learning feature, that led me to the message blog to see if quantification is being discussed. Which leads me to you. 

I see within the Autodesk discussion that 2015 stopped the previous version of "Autodesk Quantity Takeoff" with the idea that Navisworks simulate has the quantification functionality and that is the future product pathway

Any insight would be appreciated

Tw

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report