Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks Manage 2012 not using maximum memory

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mikesmith8991
823 Views, 4 Replies

Navisworks Manage 2012 not using maximum memory

on our Dell Precision T7500 we installed 48 GB of RAM to accompany the dual processors and nVidia Quadro 5000 card.  We are running Windows 7 64bit and Navis is also 64bit.  While trying to render, we notice that the system will only use up to 7GB of RAM.  I realize the processor limitation (using only a single core of one processor), but I'm confused as to why the software will not use the maximum amount of memory available in the machine.  I've altered the BIOS to maximize available memory among the processors.  Is there a switch within Windows or with Navisworks to use the maximum memory available?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: mikesmith8991

The program should be taking as much as it needs.  Depending on what you are rendering, and how complex it is, will determine how much RAM is required.  Having it use more RAM won't necessarily make it go faster (is that what you are asking?), as it still has to push the bits through rendering routine in a linear fashion.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5

I'm having the same ram usage issue running a clash report.

I've got about 20 different batches for various reports.  Usually I| can run them all in about 15 minutes for the 930 drawings in my model.

I created a batch yesterday that has 3 drawings versus all the other drawings because one of my users wanted to see if he was clashing with anyone else.

The one batch takes over 3 hours to run, then I found out one of the users had made his entire drawing using extruded shapes. 

While that batch was running, I never saw the ram usage go over 6gb out of the 24 I have available.

Is there a bottle next that needs to be unstopped somewhere?  2 hours to run ONE clash batch is absolutely unusable. 

I know, I know, there are probably other reasons as to why these drawings are running so slow but, I wouldn't mind if it was running slow and using all my ram or at the least HALF of it..

If you have a 12 cylinder motor in your Jaguar and it only runs on 3, I don't think you'll be very happy.  If it's running on 12 and barely moving, it's a different problem.  Three cylinders is a software problem in that it's not firing on all 12 when it should be..

Any ideas??

973 total drawings in model

4.56gb total size of .dwg files used

226,210mb .nwd file created

System used is:

Dell Precision T3500

Windows 7 Enterprise

Inetl Xeon W3670 @ 3.20ghz, 3200 mhz 6 cores

24gb ram

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: GrumpyGrizzly

Don't confuse number of cyclinders with the size of the gas tank.  Clash detection is even more dependant on speed than rendering.  It only needs enough RAM to support the objects while it cycles through them one at a time.  Reduce the number of iterations that need to be checked so you don't keep checking the same object over and over.  Work out the clash sets to reduce the number of iterations such as items that will never conflict shouldn't be in the sets.

Wait... 973 DRAWINGS???

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
GrumpyGrizzly
in reply to: dgorsman

Well, actually, the 973 drawings climbed another 15 drawings overnight.. Now I'm up to 988 drawings. 

This is a Tool Install project on a live processing plant.  Yep, there's a bunch of drawings. 

Just loading the .nwf takes right at 2 hours.

That's where the ram and cpu usage is really suffering.  I'm loading the .nwf file right now and CPU usage is around 10-18% and ram usage is sitting at a steady 4.6gb..

Watching the 6 cpu's, I DO see activity on all of them but, mostly a quick spike here and there.. None of them aer running at any steady speed. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report