Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks for ipad application

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Arun_Kumar_K
35700 Views, 24 Replies

Navisworks for ipad application

When autodesk going to launch Navisworks freedom app for ipad. If it comes it would be a highly useful tool.
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
JeffH_ADSK
in reply to: Arun_Kumar_K

Hi there,

Please check out the BIM 360 app available on iTunes now. It may meet your needs in this area.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 3 of 25
DarrenP
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

the app is free but the service is not

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 25
IconSystem
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

Can anyone from Autodesk give us an update on this?

Regards, Chris
Message 5 of 25
emizer
in reply to: IconSystem

Can someone from AutoDesk provide information on the idea of having a navsworks app for iPad and Android??

(Is this something autodesk is thinking about providing? has not intention of providing?)

In the latter case I want to pursue other options, so I would like to know the answer.

thank you.

Message 6 of 25
dgorsman
in reply to: emizer

A standalone "app" is highly unlikely for the immediate future.  While tablets are reasonably powerful, even Freedom is a significantly large program dealing with significantly large files, in excess of what current generation of tablets can comfortably handle.  Thats not to say remote-access style apps aren't available (like AutoDesk 360) to remotely access content stored in the cloud.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 25
vladimir_michl
in reply to: dgorsman

The new Autodesk 360 cloud supports also Navisworks files (NWD/NWC) and there is an integrated 3D web viewer in this cloud service. Plus there is a mobile version of Autodesk 360 (currently only for IOS).

Sample Navisworks model:

https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue29c8ac2/docstore/permalink/DSabee1QT1a327cf2b7a24edd8bae9fcce1a

Further reading/watching:

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/interactive-cloud-viewer-for-3d-cad-data-in-autodesk-360-tip9842

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvmv53gE3Qo

http://budweiser.cadstudio.cz/2014/06/autodesk-360-mobile-app-view-any-cad.html

http://budweiser.cadstudio.cz/2014/05/the-autodesk-360-cloud-whats-next.html

Vladimir Michl, www.cadstudio.cz  www.cadforum.cz

Message 8 of 25
smbrennan
in reply to: vladimir_michl

As others said, I don't believe Autodesk will be releasing a Free Tablet viewer for Navisworks. With the development of Autodesk 360 & BIM 360 Glue/Field, they are charging customers to use those services. During discussions with my reseller, they mentioned that they've been informed that very large customers (national, maybe even international, contractors) are paying for the service. If these large customers are paying, the small ones should see benefit as well. 

My only suggestion would be to talk to your rep about the service. I was given a quote for a "small project" cost - and I personally don't think it's unreasonable. But, you need to ask yourself, Who's using the app? You while on the job site, or your installers? Is there a value to the users? Where is the data originating from? If AutoCAD, I'd personally say don't waste the time or money for field users. You won't get useful data other than the geometry, and layers. If it's for walk thrus and mark ups, then it has it's perks. If the data originates from Revit, there's much more data included.

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 9 of 25
emizer
in reply to: smbrennan

thank you for the feedback, gentlemen.

I have an aversion to all of the "cloud based" software and services. I (and the company I work for) don't have an issue with paying for software but when things are cloud based you end up not "owning" anything...even your own files!

thanks again.

Message 10 of 25
vladimir_michl

<out-of-topic>

Of course you still own your data when you use cloud based viewers. As you own your data sent across cloud based e-mail system, cloud based discussion forums, or as you own your money deposited in your bank.

</out-of-topic>

Message 11 of 25

yeah, right, as if nobody is reading over your sholder on the web. Mr Snowden told us otherwise. Who is hosting those cloud systems and who is admin over there ? As an end-user we do not know. Competitors may hire Americans, Russians or Eastern experts to hack into those systems.
If major Software vendors do not listen to the customer needs (for securtity) their days are counted: As an example: I do not see any wolrd wide company that has "secret" information switching to Office 360.
Message 12 of 25

<still_out_of_topic>

Yes, security is another issue (other than ths discussed "ownership"). I agree it may be very important in many cases. On the other side, I have seen many customers deeply discussing potential security issues of the CAD cloud and at the same time sending happily their CAD data over e-mail or even sharing them via FTP, and having weak security policies on their own internet-connected servers.

So probably do not use the cloud for Navisworks data of the latest military drone but the Navisworks data of a retirement home design are safe there, usually safer than on in-house servers.

</still_out_of_topic>

Message 13 of 25
dgorsman
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

Didn't need Mr. "Pay attention to me!!!!" to tell me that.  Thats been understood since the days of trenchcoats and g-men.  If somebody wants access and they have even modest skills it doesn't matter of the data is in the cloud or on your system if you have *any* external connectivity - including employees bringing in thumb/portable drives.

Message 14 of 25
smbrennan
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

Didn't need Mr. "Pay attention to me!!!!" to tell me that.  Thats been understood since the days of trenchcoats and g-men.  If somebody wants access and they have even modest skills it doesn't matter of the data is in the cloud or on your system if you have *any* external connectivity - including employees bringing in thumb/portable drives.

That's right. In fact, wasn't there a speaker at AU one year that talked about Cloud Security? I think she said, "There are two types of companies. Those who have been hacked, and those that don't know they have been hacked." Or something along those lines.

Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 15 of 25
emizer
in reply to: smbrennan

Autodesk just wants to charge for a "free" application. I don't have a problem even buying another license for an Android or iOS program. Our field guys frequently don't have Interent way out in the middle of nowhere..

I have no use for their cloud based applications/file service. And may not even be able to use it at remote sites...I'll buy the application to run on a tablet...just do not FORCE me to use this cloud crap. I will be resonsible for my own security instead of having to absolve AutoDESK of responsility if they get hacked..

I want my own (purchased) program running on my own device...is that too much to ask?

AutoDESK will either come up an answer to this or somebody will see a need and fill it through the freemarket...ENTREPRENEURSHIP BABY!

Message 16 of 25
dgorsman

First the market has to create hardware capable of doing the job.  In order to get the portability of a tablet there are comprimises in processing power and storage capacity.  Right now they get around that by doing the storage and processing elsewhere (aka the cloud) and squirting smaller easier to chew bites of information back to the device.

Message 17 of 25
Arun_Kumar_K

Intergraph has a launched a tool in Ipad for viewing 3d models done in cadworx. Why not for plant3d?
Message 18 of 25

Did anybody ever come up with a good solution for viewing Navisworks files on iPads that wasn't subscription based? The thread seems to have ended in 2014. I don't care about having data in the cloud, but I'd like to give the client a version of the Navis model they can keep and view in the field without having to maintain a subscription. We used Autodesk 360 throughout the project, but now that it's ending and we'll end our subscription this doesn't help our client. Annual subscriptions for the equivalent of the free viewer don't make sense for ongoing access of a static model.

We considered just giving them a Windows-based tablet, but they'd like to use Building Ops and that program only works with iPad / iOS.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous

Hello guys...

I know this discussion is old, but I'd like to share some information with you.

Today I use an iPad for a project using the Navisworks freedom. I tried to use the A360, but the application is very poor in tools. I need only a Navisworks tool on the A360, the TimeLiner playback, is a very important feature for me in this project, but it does not work on the A360.

Solution: Have a Citrix service with Navisworks on your server and a Citrix Receiver on the iPad.

This solution gets a bit slow, but I can follow the progress of the project.

If anybody have som tips, please send me...

Hugs

Message 20 of 25
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: Anonymous

Does anybody already tried using Freedom on a Windows Tab instead of an iPad ?

Even Ex-zone compliant hardware does exist with Windows.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report