Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks 2014 View Cube Rotates with Object

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2606 Views, 7 Replies

Navisworks 2014 View Cube Rotates with Object

We import Point Clouds into Navisworks which always come in at the wrong angle, usually (2013) we just click on the cloud, hit Item Tools, Rotate, then set it somewhere so the front of the Point Cloud is the Front View of the ViewCube.

In 2014 however, when we rotate the Point Cloud, the ViewCube rotates with it... Surely this must just be a setting somewhere, or a View Lock... I've right clicked on the ViewCube and ensured that Lock to Selection is not enabled...

Can someone put me out of my misery?

Thanks all.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tim.wiegand
in reply to: Anonymous

If you select an entire file and rotate it, then everything that was loaded with that file is also rotated - viewpoints, ViewCube orientation etc.

If you select part of the file and rotate it, then just that part is rotated.

Unfortuantely with a point cloud there is usually only one object in the file, so rotating it is the same as rotating the entire file. Right now, the only work around I can think of is to append in some dummy object (hide it if you want), save the point cloud and dummy object as an NWD, then you can open the NWD and rotate just the point cloud.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you for replying with this. However, this definitely isn't the case for me in Navisworks Manage 2013.

If you look at the attatched images you'll see how I've rotated a single object without the View Cube rotating with it.

Is there a setting I need to change to prevent this happening in 2014? Seems odd that you need a work around for a task so simple in a later version of the software.

Thank you again,

Message 4 of 8
tim.wiegand

This change in behaviour is due to a fix we made in Navisworks 2014. Now when you move an entire file all the related data (like viewpoints, world up orientation, etc.) moves with it.

There's no setting that controls this behavior but I have found some other workarounds that may work better for you :

1) If you're going to append the point cloud with another model, then rotate it after you've combined the models not before.

2) The view cube orientation is based on the information in Home -> File Options -> Orientation. You can set this data back to the original values after rotating the point cloud. You may also need to right click on the view cube and set current view as Home to get the Front face where you want it.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you for the tips, I will try them out next time I import a point cloud.

On a similar note (this may have been covered elsewhere, sorry)... Is there a way to bring in the Point Cloud at the corect orientation/custom orientation so rotating the cloud isn't necessary any way?

Thanks,

Message 6 of 8
Patrick_Aps_9121

First append a CAD file (a box or a floor drawin in AutoCAD or MicroStation or whatever)

Save the NWF file

Then start appending the Laser Clouds. Orientation should not change, as it is the first file appended that determines the orientation and units etc..

In my opinion, this is another example of a case where having "Template NWF " files would make sense.

Message 7 of 8
greggbehmer
in reply to: tim.wiegand

Tim,

I am using Navisworks 2015.  My model is comprised of several nwc files from revit.   The model is in true north orientation so 42.22 degrees rotated off of view cube north.   When I take a measurement the x and y dimensions are per the view cube orientation and are not orthogonal to my grid.   I tried rotating the model to be aligned to project north or the view cube but when I did this the viewpoints I had set up were no longer intact.   What method can I use to move the model or reorient the view cube so I can maintain my viewpoints and the x,y dimensions will report othogonal to my model?

Message 8 of 8
Patrick_Aps_9121

This is a known issue with PTS and ohter laserscan an mechanical files.
There are two work arounds:
1) attach a simple CAD file (like an AutoCAD box of 1by2b3 meters ) first. in Navisworks. Set the file units and transform of that attached file good, so that Z is up in Navisworks and you can measure the box perfectly.
2) append the PTS file. File units and transform if needed. to Scale and position the cloud)
3) save as NWF. You might need the NWF again if the PTS or mechanical file gets an update.
4) delete the CAD file
5) Save as NWD
In your furhter workflow, use the NWD instead of the NWF.
Workaround 2: when using Navisworks 2015 or above
Import the complete clouds in Recap first.
Save as a an Recap Project (RCP)
attach the RCP in Navisworks instead of the PTS files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report