Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks 2014 Quantification?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
christian.storay
5206 Views, 12 Replies

Navisworks 2014 Quantification?

Has anyone tried using this feature yet? How is it going for you?

I'm able to select and takeoff selections, but I'm wondering if there's a more automatic way that I'm missing. I read the help information and looked online for videos, though there's not a lot of information out there about this feature yet.

I'd like to be able to automatically takeoff all objects within the model(s), and have them appear in their appropriate catalog category with the correct name and information

How I'm doing it now is more manual. I bring in a Revit file, start Quantification with CSI48, select the objects I want (usually By Type), then I takeoff my selection and give the NewItem entry the name of that Type. If I do this till everything is counted, I could be at it for a while.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
rgilbim
in reply to: christian.storay

Im having the same issue, i assumed the items would be cataloged already from REVIT in layers maybe and i just link them to the item catalog somehow. 😕

Message 3 of 13
SteveDFThorne
in reply to: rgilbim

It seems some Revit & Civil 3D objects can't be quantified, not even as a count:

Revit

• Wall Sweeps - Can't even add
  • Curtainwall Mullions - Can't even add
  • Had a problem with wood 2 x 8 (This was probably a generic family type) - Can't even add
  • Topo surfaces and regions (have ssen it work and not work) - Does not give a value for area
  • Walls do not give the height but area works great

Civil 3D

• Surfaces - Does not give a value for area

Thanks

Message 4 of 13
subsales

While there is no automated takeoff for this version of quantification we have noted the request.  It was anticipated by client feedback folks would want to interrogate the model and perform dual quantification and quality check as you perform the takeoff.

This can be automated with the use of selection and search sets, used in conjunction with model takeoff.  I hope this helps if not please do reach out for additional information as I’d be happy to provide it.

Message 5 of 13
subsales
in reply to: SteveDFThorne

In regard to not being able to takeoff items – keep in mind you will need to be taking things off at the “object” level of the selection tree.  This should have the appropriate properties from the model.  Now some models do not provide all “properties” that correspond to the variables in the workbook.  You can use formulas in this case or even setup a custom property mapping schema for this and future projects.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Message 6 of 13
SteveDFThorne
in reply to: subsales

You're right. I had it set to last object. I was selecting too deep into the model. Once i switched selection to First Object all was well. 

Thanks,

Message 7 of 13

Can I change the precision of the units?

I don't really want 3 decimal places of a millimetre

Message 8 of 13
scott

If you have to quantify twice, what is the time savings?  Our reseller led us to believe this is taking teh place of QTO. Are we out to lunch on this?

Message 9 of 13
JuddVDC
in reply to: scott

Have been experimenting with this new feature quite a bit in last several months and have some issues with the way the formulas work (or don't seem to work).  The formulas seem to be very inflexible for certain parameters like weight per foot.  Also, hard to figure out exactly what parameters are being mapped in the formulas.

Anyone have success with modifying these preset formulas?  I've tried a variety of mods but none seem to work.  For example  "Weight=ModelWeight" is a standard line item in the Item Catalog.  What does "ModelWeight" read from the model.   I've done a takeoff and this item reads "0".    I have a model that has a piece of steel with the parameter  WtperFoot with a value of 25.  I've tried mapping the foumula to read this but it will not.

Overall this feature has great potential but needs much more development. 

Message 10 of 13
christian.storay

Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for your input on this issue. I'll be looking forward to future versions of Navisworks that may someday do this.
Message 11 of 13
clerwice

Hi guys,

I'm having some troubles if the quantitative take off. My Revit is in portuguese, and my Navisworks is in english, even after I installed the multilanguage pack for portuguese. So, the only quantitative I can extract is volume, because this word is the same in portuguese and english.

How can I resolve this problem?

Could someone help me please?!

Message 12 of 13

I've been testing it in conjunction with AutoCAD Plant 3D 2014 to strip Pipe lengths by spec and size. Under the hood is a Property Mapping file that does the heavy lifting in terms of pulling the takeoff. C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Navisworks Manage 2014\Quantification\Takeoff_maps\TakeoffPropertyMap.xml.

It is very Revit centric. I had to configure the mapping file to create a new node to pull simple lengths of Plant pipes.The trick is to uncover the node of the item you want to strip and configure the mapping file for how you want to quantify it (ie. length, area, volume, etc...). You can do this through a query using Find Items and the Properties Windows. The query can be exported to XML. You can copy/paste the proper node from the exported XML to be incorporated into the mapping file. Make sure the proper Object Enablers are loaded so that Navisworks can see the proprietary item properties of the target model.

Autodesk did release a PDF that explains how to configure this file. You just need to configure it for stripping models from other design authoring tools products. I've attached it below.

You can build a Quantification Workbook from scratch by selecting "None" in the setup wizard. Then, you can build an Item Catalog and Resource Catalog per your company's preferences. Once complete, you can export the Workbook Catalog to be imported on future projects.

Here's a jing video I made illustrating the process: http://screencast.com/t/tdC0EtZs

Message 13 of 13
RobinsonG
in reply to: Bill.Knittle

Please look at "Quantification How to Add string variable to workbook" thread.

I beleive you may have an interest in that content.

"To see things in the seed, that is genius". Lao-Tzu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report