Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks 2014 No Orthographic View??

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
allarkin14
11092 Views, 12 Replies

Navisworks 2014 No Orthographic View??

When trying to get an orthographic view of my model, I right click on the view cube and there is no longer an "orthographic" option! The "perspective" option has a check next to it, but when I click on that - as if to uncheck it, nothing happens.

This is kind of an important feature. Why would it go away?

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: allarkin14

If your navigation mode is walk or fly, the "Orthographic" option is hidden since those modes are perspective-only.  Switch to pan or orbit navigation mode before right-clicking the viewcube.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 13
allarkin14
in reply to: dgorsman

Still no dice - I switched to pan mode, clicked on a face of the view cube, then right clicked and "perspective" was still the only option. It still wouldn't uncheck, either.

My new obstacle is in timeliner - my text display isn't working when I simulate the timeline. (It's working just fine in 2013 and I verified the settings were all the same/correct). I'm pretty sure this software just was not tested thoroughly before being released.

Message 4 of 13

I am having the same issue that ahoffman describes above. Navisworks 2014: 11.0.0.98373.

The orthographic view is permanently grayed out no matter what combination of selection tools I use. As you can see in the attached screenshot. Having "Pan" selected does not make Orthographic available. I also tried it with the select tool.

I agree with ahoffman, this is a very important part of my company's workflow. Can we get a hotfix as soon as possible?

Ahoffman, I have a workaround for you. If you import a Revit .nwc exported out of a Revit Ortho view, it imports an orthographic view by default. By copying this view in the view tree, you can create Orthographic views to reference.

Message 5 of 13

@spitznagelk:

I've had a ticket out for a while that got sent back to developers. Today I received correspondence back which stated:

"According to development the application is working as designed. 

1. As legal issue, we can't use any third party RPC library (trees, car and persons) in 2014.
2. You have two ways to turn on the Orthographic.
(a) Switch back to "Presenter"mode from "Autodesk Rendering"mode
(b) if using "Autodesk Rendering"mode, turn off "sun" settings."

Upon testing these methods, it appeared to be true that having the sun on causes "orthographic" to be grayed out.

In my opinion though, it's still a bug and should not be how the program is "designed". My RPC issue (rpc items not rendering when using autodesk rendering mode) stated above also seems to be a bug seeing as they were all out of the box revit rpc items... That's another battle for another day.

Good Luck!

Message 6 of 13

In Home tab change Autodesk rendering to Autodesk Presenter. Orthographic will work now

Message 7 of 13

Recently upgraded to 2015...  just read through and figured out this issue.  Thanks for tip. 

However, now that I've selected "Presenter" as the rendering setting, I get the spinning wheel every time I select elements in the selection tree or sets.  Does changing to Presenter cause a graphics issue or some other performance drag?

Message 8 of 13

There is a new way to fix in 2015 that works even with Autodesk Rendering. Open up the Autodesk rendering panel and turn off "Sun". Then you should be able to use Orthographic as expected.

Sun off.PNG

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: kyle.spitznagel

THX. It works!

Message 10 of 13

Finally! thank you!

Message 11 of 13
Josh_Hunt
in reply to: reed.munro

Did anyone figure out how to default the Sun to OFF when appending a new file? I'm not aware that NW Manage has "templates"?
Josh Hunt
Message 12 of 13
kyle.spitznagel
in reply to: Josh_Hunt

Josh,

We have a Navisworks template file we use that has all our search sets and clash tests in it but no geometry (just a single empty file appended in it). It's extension is still .nwf however.

Message 13 of 13
Josh_Hunt
in reply to: kyle.spitznagel

@spitznagel I am looking for the default template? I may have hundreds of users so I can't expect them to remember which file to open first when they start NW Manage. I also need to account for a new file created by a Factory Design sync from AutoCAD or Inventor.

Josh Hunt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report