Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navis and Google Earth

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tfischer
1760 Views, 2 Replies

Navis and Google Earth

I do not fully understand the "output" options when trying to go from Navisworks to a KNL file for Google Earth...

I have 2 things I would like to do...

1. Use a google earth imiage as my "grade level plane" or an "underlay" as an image TO SCALE.

2. Be able to open up a Navisworks model in Google Earth --- The building is rather large and would like it to run smoothly - how do I "delete" or purge unused items? anyway to "gut" the building insides without using the Revit file?

I do NOT think the architect geo-locate the model on his end, however it is sitting about 300' above 'sea level'... in Navis the models all "float" about 300' off of Naviswork's 0,0,0

I have used the work around of exporting 3d .dwgs, loading sketchup, importing a "scene" from google earth, import the .dwg, and manually move the .dwg overtop where it needs to go in sketchup -- HOWVER, with large files this is just too ridiculous to even try to do on my computer. Sketchup does not play nice with these large files and cannot be worked with in Sketchup.

I have tried numerous searches on this; everything I find is that "it is an option" not a how-to or tutorial. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tfischer
in reply to: tfischer

Ok, after messing around with it...

I Downloaded some surface planes from the Beyond Design Autodesk Blog...

I saved some views in Google Earth and applied them to the surface...

where I run into the problem is this:

The default surfaces are 1000m x 1000m... when I overlay the picture, it "stretches" the picture to fit the surface... how do I bring it in at 1:1 scale? I want to overlay my building over the site, and currently the background site picture is about 1.5x bigger than my building - i know you can scale this is Navis, but want this to be brought in 1:1 even if there are "grey" edges around the picture when placed on the 1000m x 1000m surface.

Message 3 of 3
tfischer
in reply to: tfischer

? Help?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report