Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging Two NWC Files Into One (NW'16)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2409 Views, 4 Replies

Merging Two NWC Files Into One (NW'16)

I'd like to Merge these two files I have, Project A and Project B.  Currently, they exist as two separate Revit models: Proj. A is in RVT'14, Proj. B is in RVT'15.  Each project also has a respective NWC.  Both "Projects" are two parts of the same building, modeled separately due to the nature of the project (renovation).

Each project has a substantial amount of geometry that would overlap, but each also has a good amount of unique geometry. They are both merged into an NWF file as NWCs, but the duplicate geometry remains.  From what I understand, geometry can only be merged when there is one master file in NWF format, so this makes sense.

My question is, how might I be able to combine these files so that their duplicate geometry becomes merged?

-  Combining the files manually in a new Revit file by deleting dup. geometry is a last ditch effort only, and would be overly time consuming.

-  I have tried creating a dummy NWF, merging in the 2 NWCs, exporting as DXF and FBX, then re-import to project NWF (still references the two separate NWCs)

-  I am hesitant to upgrade the RVT'14 file to '15 because I don't want to lose any information (would this actually happen?)

-  I tried to Append the RVT'15 directly into Navisworks, after a long load time it gave an error something like "Problem w/ Revit file, recommended you open Revit file and fix problem," but I don't know the problem.

-  Would prefer unobtrusive methods such as file converstions as opposed to editing geometry in the projects.

Any workflow ideas, workarounds, or experience you might have with this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Specs: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Navisworks 2016 w/ service pack

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

You might be able to use the compare function between the two source models in the same NWF, using that to generate selection sets.  Those sets can be used to hide objects en masse.  Of course that depends if the compare tool criteria can identify what you consider as duplicates.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5
Backnblack
in reply to: dgorsman

Would be easier to remove what would be duplicate geomerty from one NWF before creating the NWC files.

Message 4 of 5

The NWC's were created by Revit, if I understand the topic right. It could well be that Paul has no access to the Revit Project. But if he does, he could (temporarly ? ) remove the duplicate geometry in one of the Revit Projects before creating the NWC.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies.  It seems that either hiding the dupe geometry in NW by generating selection sets is the most direct solution (going into Revit to edit the originals would be pose a "cleaner" solution I suppose).

To those who also may have the same question, after you hide the duplicated items in NW, don't forget to save a Viewpoint with the "Override Hide/Require" attribute checked so you don't have to re-hide everything all over again!

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report