Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEP2010 pipe and fittings appear as square wireframe objects in Navisworks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mdent
1706 Views, 6 Replies

MEP2010 pipe and fittings appear as square wireframe objects in Navisworks

I was attempting to run clash detection between MEP 2010 and other services/3rd party softwares. For some reason the Autodesk MEP 2010 appended as a .dwg file appears in Navisworks as square, not round, objects. I also tried exporting the MEP file with the NWDOUT command. Same result.
Any clues out there what might cause this?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JeffH_ADSK
in reply to: mdent

Hi there,

Typically the appearance of square wireframe objects means the DWG file has had proxy wireframe objects drawn instead of full proxy object graphics due to a missing object enabler. Please check the Scene Statistics for the DWG file read into Navisworks (and the same for the exported NWD) to see if there are any such messages.

If there are, then you need to make sure your import/export process has the right matching application versions. Exporting out of MEP 2010 directly should export without incident (I'd try NWCOUT first as this is less complex and easier to verify). Importing into Navisworks requires the DWG loader version to be set to 2010. The MEP 2010 Object Enabler should be bundled with Navisworks 2010 as part of the install.

If you're using an earlier version of Navisworks e.g. 2009 then you will need to upgrade to Navisworks 2010 in order to import DWG files that use 2010 OEs.

I hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 3 of 7
mdent

Jeff,
Thanks for the response.
I checked the screen statistics after loading the (dwg) in NAVIS and got the following info:

P-102.dwg
Missing object enabler for application "AecbPipeBase60|Product Desc: AutoCAD® MEP 2008 |Company: Autodesk,Inc. |WEB Address: www.autodesk.com" (293 objects)

When I exported the with as nwd and nwc files, neither had this message, and both files just appeared as single line objects.
I'm not sure where to go from here, or what specific Object Enabler to use.
The company I received this file from is using MEP 2010. I also use MEP 2010 64bit, with Vista

Help is appreciated.
Message 4 of 7
mdent

Jeff,
Something else I found....If I open this companies (dwg) file the pipe and fittngs appear as 3D objects.
If I attached this fial as an xref to my file, the attached file appears as a single line objects, and everywhere there is a fitting, there are cirlces. 2 for a 90, and 3 for a tee.

Still confused??????????
Message 5 of 7
JeffH_ADSK

It sounds like there is some load order issue or other interaction that's causing the object enabler to not get loaded. At this point I think I need more details about the precise configuration of what you're trying to do:
  • What version of Navisworks is in use?
  • Is Navisworks 32-bit or 64-bit?
  • When you say attached as an x-ref, are we talking x-ref as in via MEP, one DWG referring to another, or appending in Navisworks?
  • Is your file created also in MEP 2010?
  • When attached as an x-ref and therefore appearing as line objects, does Scene Statistics for that file still indicate missing object enablers?
  • When you load these files, is your 'DWG Loader Version' Global Option in Navisworks set to 2010?
Thanks,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 6 of 7
john.lipp

Are you able to upload a sample DWG that is having the issue?

Please try checking if you have anything stated as missing by clicking View > Scene Statistics. If so, please paste the contents of the window.

If the enablers are stated as missing even after installing the enabler and setting the loader year to the same year as the Object Enabler you are using, try deleting the NWC cache files that were created upon opening the DWG models in NavisWorks so that NavisWorks won't reuse them with the missing object data. These files will have the same name with the '.nwc' extension and reside in the same folder as the original DWGs.

The ADT/Architecture/ABS/MEP enablers are based on the new Object Modeling Framework (OMF), (like AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD MEP Civil3D, and others based on these) be aware that by default, geometry in NavisWorks depends on the display configuration in use when the DWG file was saved, i.e. if saved in a wireframe view in the AutoCAD-based application, it will appear as wireframe in NavisWorks.

If you still have missing items although there is nothing stated as such when selecting View > Scene Statistcs, please try the following:

- With the model loaded, select from the top menu Tools > Global Options > DWG/DXF/SAT

- Scroll down and unmark "Use ADT Standard Configuration"

- Click OK

- Select from the top menu File > Refresh
Message 7 of 7
mike.gustus

Rotate the DWG to a 3d view in Autocad MEP, resave and reload the DWG into Navis.

and/or

"Save as" the DWG go to options at the upper right corner of the save dialog box, there should be an option something along the lines of "Enable Proxy Image" make sure that is checked on!

99% of the time doing these steps has solved the problem of A-MEP files coming into navis as wireframes. Edited by: mike.gustus@gmail.com on Feb 13, 2010 4:11 AM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report