Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an alternative to Navisworks?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Brelin
7922 Views, 6 Replies

Is there an alternative to Navisworks?

Hi All

May seem like a strange question for a Navisworks forum but I'm wondering if there is other software I can use to achieve the same thing as Navisworks ...co-ordination and clash detection ...not bothered about timeline/animations etc.

Essentially we're looking at buying Navisworks and I know I'll get asked the question "What other software can do the same thing?", so I thought I'd have a few answers prepared.

So is anything else available?  What limitations/problems do they have? Recommendations/Warnings?

Any thoughts on this would be greatfully received.

Thanks for the help.

Brelin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: Brelin

For clash detection, there isn't much.  I think Bentley has a "Navigator" product with a separate clash detection plug-in like the old pre-AutoDesk Navisworks products.  A lot of applications are now including clash detection but typically it only works for their own models and is part and parcel of their application.

For coordination there is some use of 3D PDF, although I find it a bit clunky compared to Navisworks, and despite the format being published and available from ISO there is only one creator of export software that I know of (Tetra4D).  You can open it with standard Acrobat Reader which can be a benefit since there is no need to download/distribute releases of Freedom.  Thats not much different than distributing Reader updates though.  Until recently, only 3D PDF could have 2D sheets in addition to a 3D model but Freedom has DWF sheets now as well.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 7
bbrown

BIMsight

Solibri

Bentley Navigator

Navisworks is the best. Played with BIMsight some (who can pass up free?) but it can't open nearly as many file types as Navisworks and that just doesn't do most of the time.

Message 4 of 7
Brelin
in reply to: bbrown

Thanks for the responces they are very helpful.

Brelin

Message 5 of 7
Milos_Vajdic

Old topic I know but hey, info is info.

Frank Gehry developed free (for now) alternative to navisworks. In future their charging will be project based so it will be more affordable than Autodesk's subscription deal.

http://www.gteam.com/

there is another one which is still in beta which has all the navisworks features and more, but I forgot the name of it. MIsix or something like that unfortunately I can't find anything on it yet. I am sure once it is out of beta it will be advertised a bit better.

Message 6 of 7
Zeelrich

Solibri is the best hands down, but BIM 360 doesn't support Solibri (smc) file format. Very disappointing Autodesk!

Message 7 of 7
PatrickDavis20
in reply to: bbrown

In addition to what bbrown mentioned:

Autodesk Glue

Revizto (clash detection module will be released soon)

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Patrick Davis
Twitter
LinkedIn
Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report