Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do drawing of a Navisworks layout (newbie)

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Sprocket107
5248 Views, 12 Replies

How to do drawing of a Navisworks layout (newbie)

Hi

I know that Navisworks is great to append all disciplines into one layout, but what is the best method to create drawings of that layout??

Thanks

Andre

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

With Navisworks you cannot create drawings, just Top or side views or Section views.
You will need to append all in Navisworks, save as an NWD and then append that NWD as a reference in Autocad to place a drawing border around it and draw some dimensions.
Another method could be to export to DWFx and than append that in Autocad to start the drawing.
Message 3 of 13

Thank you very much Patrick.
I will try it.
Message 4 of 13

Hi Patrick

I just tryed it and it's not so good.

With the NWD file from Navisworks append in Autocad, there is no snap points to the objects. It's not good to place dimensions.

I'm using Plant Design Suite Ultimate 2016 and I can not append the 3D DWFx file from Navisworks in Autocad.

So I will try something else.

Thanks

Message 5 of 13
J450NP13
in reply to: Sprocket107

Is Revit an option for you?  

Message 6 of 13
Sprocket107
in reply to: J450NP13

Hi

Maybe.

I question myself: Why did I buy the Plant Design Suite???

I was looking for a Suite whit witch I can create equipment (Inventor), structure (Revit), piping (Plnat 3D), append all of this in a software (Navisworks) to check everything ans ALSO can do drawing of my entire layout......... I want all of this to be interoperable (keep intelligence after changes).

I know that each discipline edit there parts and assemblies and make there own drawings, but I wiched I could at least produce a drawing of my complete layouts.

I'm still searching...

Message 7 of 13
J450NP13

You can do piping in Inventor pro which to me is much better than the plant design.

I would get it all in Revit...if you need to create drawings and sections you can do it all in there....You can make a complete set of drawings in Revit.

Push it to Navis to do the clash tests....that's it...if you know you modeled a clash fre model...you don't even need navis.

Message 8 of 13
Sprocket107

OK
If I get it all in Revit, can you tell me if I will see the interoperability whit Inventor parts?
Message 9 of 13
J450NP13

What exactly do you mean by that.

I work with all the different softwares....bringing them all together in Revit and Navis.  What is the end result you want?

Facility managment? 

Message 10 of 13
Sprocket107

Hi

I would like to have ''interoperability'' as they say at Autodesk.

I want to append an Inventor part or assembly into Revit.

I don't want to insert STEP file.

If I make modifications in my Inventor's part and go back in Revit, will I see my Inventor modification?

Sory if I'm not clear enough.

Message 11 of 13

I'm not completely sure, but I believe you need this download to have the Object Snaps working on an attached NWD:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-autocad-201...
Message 12 of 13
J450NP13

Yes...it will work like that.

Depending on the workflow you would be creating Revit families....

Out of Inventor you will want to export out as a ADSK file and open in as a Revit family.  This will also keep your models a little lighter.  

Message 13 of 13
Sprocket107

Thanks both of you

I will try those tips.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report