Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i create a photorealistic model of a laserscanner point cloud????

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
peter.dautzenberg
474 Views, 4 Replies

How do i create a photorealistic model of a laserscanner point cloud????

Hello,

i have measured a pointcloud with the laserscanner faro focus und now i want to create a model in navisworks simulate 2015. Here are my questions:

I want to model a simpel building (4 corners, a roof, a little bit of garden. The plan is to bring this model online onto a homepage, for example as 3d pdf.

I only have licenses for autocad student software.

1) Is navisworks simulate the right application for me? Or do i have to prepare the point cloud in another program so that navisworks can handle it?

2) Is there probably an introduction according to my problem, because i have spend hours in front of autocad and navisworks, but i came not one step further. Even google didn't help me.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks!!!

Peter

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

There are 2 ways known to me: the Autodesk and the Bentley way.
1) Import the laserscans in Autodesk Recap, that goes with AutoCAD 2015
attach the cloud in AutoCAD and model in AutoCAD

You then can export to DWF format to be included in a web-page.
OR you  can use the 30-day trial of Navisworks Manage 2015 to create an NWD, but no 3D PDF.

2) use Bentley Pointools POD creator to convert to clouds to .POD files
attach the POD files in MicroStation V8i SS3 (trial version)
Model the building there
Print to PDF, 3D PDF is available as option there.

1and2): Model with AutoCAD, open the AutoCAD with MicroStation to create the 3D PDF

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your answer,

is there a tutorial anywhere to find in the world wide web? i work with autocad 2008 last time and that was not not very much. My problem is that i don't know how i can seperate the pointcloud into its million single points. Autocad says the cloud is only one object.

The problem is how can i say in autocad that the wall, made of stone, should become a flat plane with the texture of stones.

I have been searching for 2 weeks now but i can't find such a nice simple tutorial.

best regards,

Peter

Message 4 of 5

Are you looking to automagically convert a point cloud into a model?  Thats a serious, non-trivial process which will take weeks to learn, not hours.  Neither Navisworks nor AutoCAD are the tools required.  3DPDF can be exported from AutoCAD products like Navisworks with an appropriate plug-in - see Tetra4D.

Are you looking to create pretty pictures from a model, which was derived from the point cloud?  Again, a non-trivial process.  Navisworks can do that but there is no click-click-done step by step procedure and some limitations.  Visualization software such as Maya or 3DSMAX might be a better choice.

Finally, you say you want to host this on a website.  I would advise against using student/EDU software to do this as it could be construed as a violation of the EULA.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5

Thanks for all your answers,

autodesk products don't seem to be the right for me. I just found a trial version of another software, which is easier to handle.

Thanks.

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report