Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract Data back to AutoCAD MEP?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
374 Views, 2 Replies

Extract Data back to AutoCAD MEP?

My CAD Services provider refuses to turn over the *.DWG files we paid him to create. The files were used for BIM Model Coordination and all they will send us is the *.NWD file. Now I am trying to create our shop/fab drawings and have to suspended or core/sleeve files to annotate for the shop. I have to recreate the 3D Models again in order to develop the shop drawings.

Is there a way I can isolate my digital design records, plumbing discipline, within the *.NWD file, then extract it and return trip it back to AutoCAD? If so I would only need it as an XREF or block reference. Using its digital content to measure off within AutoCAD will save me the time it is currently taking to measure within NavisWorks Freedom in order to pick up the design data.

Please let me know if there is an add-on, or plug-in, that I can use to back out some of the digital data within  an *.NWD file to use in AutoCAD.

Thanks for any support you can provide.

Scotty Boudreau

President/Owner

CAD Professionals Co

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

You might be able to do it with FBX, but not in any way I'd consider precise enough to do construction with.  Even so, there's no guarantee the NWD you have is up-to-date with the latest model.  I'm not normally litigious, but under this circumstance its time to get the company lawyer and start hitting them over the head with the contract (it *did* stipulate the model format for deliverables, right?).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks. Yeah it sounds odd that our service provider will not send over the *.DWG (MEP) files. I am a consultant on this project whose paid to create the BIM model again so am trying to save my client money. I will look into the FBX application.. thanks again.

Scotty Boudreau

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report