Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWF/NWD to STEP/IGS

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
nick_gaz
34369 Views, 15 Replies

DWF/NWD to STEP/IGS

Hello,

So, I am a relativelly new user of Autodesk products but I have been using other CAD software for some years now.
My question is as follows:

I am now using Autodesk Navisworks to handle large assemblies which I then need to convert to any possible CAD format:
STEP1. From Autodesk Navisworks I can export .nwd or a 3D-file of .dwf

STEP2. Can I export/convert my Navisworks extraction to .igs or .step (or other),

is it possible? how?

I will really appreciate any solid answer you may have.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: nick_gaz

This is not the goal of Navisworks. Navisworks is mainly there to only view all the parts together.

That said, From Navisworks Simulate you can export to FBX.
That can be opened and converted to DWG by 3D studio MaX or Possibly inventor.
That might be exported to IGES or STep by AutoCAD 2015 or MicroStation v8.
But, IGS and STEP are create very large files from complex things and in the translation you will lose all but the geometry (names of pars etc) and you will never be sure if everything is converted right.
So i wish you succes, you will need it.
Message 3 of 16
nick_gaz
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for taking the time to help me!

However I find things a bit different, let me explain:

1. I use Navisworks Manage 2015 so I can export to both FBXand DWF.

2. Inventor cannot open FBX

3. 3D studio MaX indeed opens the FBX and transforms it to DWG which can than be opened by Autocad

at that moment I understand that my 3D model is kind of no-longer-functional..

Instead of all that I just need to export my NW models to a formal that can be opened by CAD software like Inventor (and at least able to take measurements inside it).

Maybe there is a step that I am missing but I do not see that possible..

Message 4 of 16
dgorsman

Is there a reason why you don't have access to the original 3D content?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 16
Patrick_Aps_9121

Ok, the last step would be to import the DWG as an Inventor Part.

OR
you could change your way of working a bit and
- Use Navisworks to open the NWD you got
- Append the Inventor assembly you are making
- Align the models together as needed
Save this as an NWF. Each time you open the NWF, you see the most recent NWD and Inventor together.
You could even save the combined model as one Single NWD and shedule this task to create the NWD (overnight)
Measure in Navisworks Freedom.
Message 6 of 16
nick_gaz

Hello,

First of all thank you for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it!

Answer to dgorsman:
What do you mean by "original 3D containt"? I have 3D models taken from Inventor and put inside Navisworks. Then I need to extract all this Navisworks assembly in a 3D format to put back in Inventor (or other CADs). So I need to extract to a valid 3D format my Navisworks job.

Answer to Patrick_Aps_912:

If I try to import the DWG in Inventor then I have no longer a functional 3D model, so it doesn't work (I wich it was working!!)!

OR

Even then, the question is how can I convert an .nwf file into . stp / .igs??
I really need all my models from Navisworks to be extracted in a CAD format so as to give them to my collaborators. The best would be .stp because it can be opened by all CAD software. Is it possible?? Because I start realizing that it is indeed very difficult

Message 7 of 16
Patrick_Aps_9121

So you are the creator of the original files ?
Then you should use Inventor to export or Pag&Go these models to your contrator
Message 8 of 16
nick_gaz

Hi again,

Let me explain all the steps:

1. I create an .iam in Inventor

2. I open an .nwd in Navisworks (that I get from my collaborators) and then I append in it my .iam

3. I save in Navisworks an .nwf file and then I also publish it in a new .nwd.
    At this point my "new .nwd" file contains the original .nwd (from collaborators) + .iam (created by me).

All this information, included in the "new .nwd" has to be communicated to several other CAD users.

--> That is why I need to convert one of the .nwd / .nwf / .fbx file formats of NW into any CAD format (such as .stp / .igs). Is it possible?

Message 9 of 16
Patrick_Aps_9121

Ok, I understand the steps, but fail to understand why the New.NWD is not enough for everyone and why you need to convert back to CAD format.
If you leave your NWF open while drawing in inventor, a refresh in Navisworks will let you see what you have changed in Inventor. If you work that way and your contractor also, than you can collaborate.

The only way known (to us) to convert is the way described.
That is why dgorsman and I ask if there is no possiblility to get the original cad files from your collaborator instead of only an NWD. Let them provide the IGES or STEP also and your convetion problem is solved.
(additional info: AutoCAD 2015 can import IGES and STEP and export to SAT and IGES)
Message 10 of 16
nick_gaz

Ok, now I understand what dgorsman meant! The original files are not .stp but they come from revit, as far as I know they are .rvt
So they put them in NW produce an .nwd and this comes to me to combine it with my .iam

What I could get access to, are the .rvt files...

Message 11 of 16
Patrick_Aps_9121

So the real Question is "how to reference Revit Files in Inventor"
I'm sure you will continue using Navisworks for viewing them together, but I would suggest to post this in another forum.
I'm not sure what will display in Inventor if you try to import a Revit DWG...
Message 12 of 16
nick_gaz

The revit files are .rvt and not (only) .dwg. The .rvt can be exported also to .sat which is a valid format to input in Inventor. 

However, I combine all the .rvt + .iam files in NW and then I will also connect them to my primavera schedule, so for consistency reasons it is practical to extract from NW a 3D format of my final overall assembly, to which I can refer to. Unfortunatelly, this seems not possible so I have to take it a step back.

Again, thanks a lot for taking all this time and effort for me! Realizing the boundaries of the software tools is very important so I can work my way alternatively!

Message 13 of 16
carloslermont
in reply to: dgorsman

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. The main reason i can not access to original main file is beacause I'm a subcontractor for project and the designer of facilities only sent nwd. Now I need to design ductwork for dedusting and I want to use all equipment interference in a new CAD file.

I would like to know how to convert fron .NWD to STEP o IGS in order to use info in another CAD Software (Not Autodesk).

Thanks in advance

Message 14 of 16
dgorsman
in reply to: carloslermont

@carloslermont wrote:

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. The main reason i can not access to original main file is beacause I'm a subcontractor for project and the designer of facilities only sent nwd. Now I need to design ductwork for dedusting and I want to use all equipment interference in a new CAD file.

I would like to know how to convert fron .NWD to STEP o IGS in order to use info in another CAD Software (Not Autodesk).

Thanks in advance

You generally don't, not without a lot of work and potential loss of resolution.  Navisworks files are more of an end-point collection of different formats rather than a file type converter.  This is typically dealt with up front in a project by the BIM coordinator who establishes what file formats, and where appropriate file versions, will be used by the various contributors so the required model sharing doesn't run into this type of problem. 

What you need to do is go back to the provider and ask if they can provide it in IFC, IGES, or another format you know you can work with.  They might be able to do so, although if they're already dealing with multiple model types that may not be easy for them.  Plus neutral-format 3D files can get very large for complex and physically large systems (they're mostly for individual componens/parts).  They may also be using NWD to avoid problems associated with sending original model content, such as unauthorized changes or basing work on obsolete versions.  But still, explain the situation and see if something can be done; don't forget to work out a process for handling this in the future. 

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 15 of 16
kii33UM2

Hello,

How would inventor and Naviswork work together?
Message 16 of 16
Srisurya

I wish to export group by group from selection Tree to FBX by Windows Batch??

Is there any way to convert batch FBX to STP??

SriSurya Rao Lankapalli

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report