Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Tools || Excel ||

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
alanrwhite
4448 Views, 24 Replies

Data Tools || Excel ||

Data Tools

I’m having some problems getting DataTools to work,  and would appreiciate any guidance that anyone may have.

As a starter for ten, I am running a 64bit PC with 64bit Navismanage, the necessary 64bit ODBC driver has also been installed.

In brief I want to use a spec reference in the Navis model to pull information from an excel spreadsheet.  (I appreciate that excel does not provide the best prformance for this function, but for now that what we need to do.)

The following image a is excerpt of the xls spreadsheet I am using. <<See Attachement>>

The field that I want to match data to is the “Revit Type”, “Keynote” Field as detailed below.  In this case “H11” <<See Attachement>>

I have added the database under two section and configured them as per the images. 

-       File Options  -> Data Tools <<See Attachement>>

-       Data Tool <<See Attachement>>

After sometime tinkering, I’m pretty close to giving up.

Can anyone spot a school boy error?  Or am I just missing the point altogehter?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
alanrwhite
in reply to: alanrwhite

Also - I've tried removing the WHERE statement, which does not seem to make any difference.  Therefore I suspect the issued in in the DB connection. 

Message 3 of 25
JeffH_ADSK

The problem appears to be in your connection string.

You have a DSN specified, rather than an ODBC driver. Unless you have created a DSN that points to the Excel file in your Windows ODBC Control Panel applet of the name DataName, this will not work.

Try selecting the driver from the dropdown combo box labelled ODBC driver in DataTools, then click Setup to use Excel's ODBC setup dialog to point to the file.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 4 of 25
alanrwhite

Sorted!

That has done the trick!

Message 5 of 25
jeamy.baena
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

Hi, Experts

I have the same error, but in my case I am using:

MSOffice, Excel 2013 64 bits (*.XLSX)

Navisworks 2016 64 bits

I assume that the correct ODBC driver is already installed with the msoffice.

Here is my configuration:

navis.jpg

The error: "unable to set one or more links to active due insuficcient/invalid information..."

I missed something?, Any suggestion it will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 25
RogerRapp
in reply to: jeamy.baena

Hi Jeamy

You may have already figured it out by now...

Make sure you add fields into the Fields part of the Edit Link form.

To do it just double-click below "Field Name" and you will be able to manually enter the name of a field. Then hit Enter. Then do it again just below the field you added. In your case the fields to add would be Type, BDFabricante, etc. You won't need any 'single quote' or "double-quote" marks.

Regards.

Message 7 of 25

I  am having troubles linking an excel database, so i can add a tab in the properties pallet with costume properties.

I believe i made the proper steps, but there must be something missing and i just can't figure out what it is..

First i exported a csv file with element id, so i can make that link between elements.

Quick Properties to CSV.JPGProperties CSV.JPG

Then i saved as a .xls file and edited the headers and added two more parameters.

Porperties xls to link.JPG

Finally i linked the excel database, configured the parameter to establish the link.

Create Link Excel.JPG

Element ID.JPG

I am working on navisworks 2016 64bits and excel 2013 64-bits. ODBC Driver installed. Does anyone has a clue of what could be the problem?

Message 8 of 25

Can anyone Please help me on this? Am am really having trouble to get responses in autodesk forums...

Message 9 of 25

Hi Pedro

What you explained and showed looks correct to me. But there are some things I cannot see, so let's begin there.

Is it possible that when you edited the column name in your spreadsheet from Element ID Value to Element ID that a <space> remains at the end of the column name (such as "Element ID ")? If so, it would be very easy to miss and it would prevent your query from finding the Element ID column.

Also make sure to select the check-box next to your data link in the main DataTools form. Otherwise it won't be enabled.

If neither of those things help then you might try the following, although these really shouldn't matter.

Try moving your Element ID column to column A in your spreadsheet.

You might want to rename Element ID to just ID (simplicity is always good), and then tweak your query to use WHERE "ID" instead of WHERE "Element ID".

Hoping this helps.

Message 10 of 25

Hi Roger!!!

Many thanks for the answer!!! I was starting to think i was alone in this forum. Every question i make remains unresponded for some reason.

Anyway, i havn't had a go on it again, but i have done all the things that you said...no spaces, checkbox checked, simplify id name, pass it to first column..but i will try again just in case.

Anyway, the fields i added in the data tools menu, i did after inserted them in the excel spreadsheet, and i didn't add all the fields. Does that Matter?

Regards.

Message 11 of 25

Hi,

Just tried everything you said and it just doesn't work. I even tried with other properties..any other clues?

Message 12 of 25

Hi Pedro

About the only other thing I can suggest is ensuring that your MS Office is indeed 64-bit.

Many people believe they're running 64-bit MS Office because they know they are running 64-bit Windows. But most companies are actually running 32-bit Office even on 64-bit machines and 64-Windows. So to double-check this look in Excel under File > Account and click the About Excel button there (see the image below).

By the way, no, you do not have to use all fields. You can use one or all of them from your data source.

Also it can take a full day for people to get notified about posts on this forum - and that is if folks' notifications are enabled. Combine that with people's available time, their interests, and their ability to assist, and it may take time to get useful replies.

Regards.

Office64bitProof.PNG

Message 13 of 25

Hi,

It is 64-bits, i had also checked that before.. I really don't understand, and it's killing me to supposedly be doing everything right and being unable to make it work.

Is it possible to be a bug from the last service pack of Navisworks Manage 2016?

About the replies, i was talking about the Autodesk Support Staff. I have other issues i addressed months ago, still without any answer.

I understand that the users don't have time or either interest on responding, but Autodesk Staff Should give some support, and i think this is the only place where i can place my questions.

Regards

Message 14 of 25
dgorsman
in reply to: pedro.r.pinheiro

This isn't the place to get direct support from AutoDesk - thats under your support agreement.  If you have discontinued your Maintenance Subscription payments, well... not much that can be done about that.

As for using Excel as a database for Navisworks properties, all I can recommend is *don't*.  Its painfully slow.  Fine for direct user interface but lousy for computers.  You really need to be using a "proper" database like Access, SQLite, or SQL Server.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 15 of 25
pedro.r.pinheiro
in reply to: dgorsman

Well, i do have a subscription (obviously) and maybe i am not using the correct platforms for my issues, and i am sorry for that.

Anyway, i was just trying to get a way to filter the properties i want to present to my client so he can then read them easily on navisworksfreedom. The organization of the properties panel in navisworks is awful for a quick use as a basic user. 

Message 16 of 25

Sorry Pedro, I'm personally out of ideas. If you have a support agreement for Navisworks then you can submit a case through Autodesk Accounts, along with your data so a closer look can be taken. Kind regards.
Message 17 of 25

Dear Alan

What do you mean by sorted? Have you figure it out? How did you solve it?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Let it work like a charm.

Mustafa Salaheldin

EESignature

Innovation and R&D Lead, AtkinsRéalis

Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 18 of 25

Dear Pedro, and everyone else. 

I have been testing this functionality for a while, with Element ID, Type, Item and other criteria as Identifiers.

The best results I got so far were when using the GUID Unique Identifier.

Please see this Article and test on your spreadsheets as well. 

It has also been confirmed by several users that it creates the properties tabs correctly.

I will try to add a video as soon as possible to this article.

I hope these steps will help,

Regards, 

Sanziana

Sinziana Panaitescu

Message 19 of 25

Hi Sanziana,

I have tested the workflow you recommended without success.. It doesn't create any new propertie tab.
The only difference from what i tested before was the use of the GUID for identification.

When i export to csv, the column header for the GUI is composed by "Item" (break line) "GUID", but i only called "Where "GUID"", instead of "Where "Item GUID". Does this make any difference.

I am also having another issue with the GUID reference. It doesn't show for elements like Structural Framing and Structural Columns, so even if it worked, i cannot use this Parameter.

Kind regards

Message 20 of 25

Please try to remove the "Item" and the "break line" from the Excel spreadsheet Column Title. Leave only "GUID" to match the "WHERE", save and retry.

Sinziana Panaitescu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report