Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Navisworks to dwg

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
ben.furness
119704 Views, 27 Replies

Converting Navisworks to dwg

Hi, I am new to this but want to know if I can convert a Navisworks NWD file back into a dwg or dxf?

Thanks.
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
JeffH_ADSK
in reply to: ben.furness

Navisworks does contain the ability to export to DWF. There is no export to DWG or DXF.

I hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 3 of 28
ben.furness

Hi Jeff,
Yes that helps alot but my next questions are;

How do I get it to dwf? Could you sned me a link about how to do it please?
And if I so, can I then convert it to dgw?

I have a fairly complex 3D model that I have been sent by architects and ned to build and add details etc to it.

Thanks for the reply.
ben
Message 4 of 28

The solution sould be the other way around.
AutoCAD should be able to have an NWD as an external Reference.

Think of the capabilities:
-> Creating floor drawings and sections as Viewpoints in NWD and use AutoCAD to make proper drawings with dimensions and sheet border
-> Draw in AutoCAD (plant) 3D while the existing part of the was made in whatever application that NavisWorks can convert to NWD

But that also is something on the "which list"
Message 5 of 28
JeffH_ADSK

Sorry, I should have specified how you export to DWF. Once you have the desired models in Navisworks, go to File/Export/Autodesk DWF to run the export.

As for the conversion to DWG or loading said DWF into AutoCAD, you'd be better off querying that in the AutoCAD discussions forums, as what I might recommend may not be the optimal approach.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 6 of 28
ben.furness

Cheers Jeff,
I only have a trial version so I don't have Export. I'll have to consider getting the full blown version if the job warrants it.

Thanks for your time and help on this.

ben
Message 7 of 28
JeffH_ADSK

Whilst this is something we could push for from the Navisworks direction to an extent, I'd recommend posting this sort of wish list item for AutoCAD in the AutoCAD discussion groups, to give it greater exposure to the AutoCAD user base.

Just to clarify this, would you be thinking along the lines of a read-only external reference in the design application, enabling you to see and draw around the aggregated model within your design application?

To play devil's advocate, historically Navisworks has been focused on design review; what would be the reason to use Navisworks models specifically versus better import or external references in AutoCAD (e.g. if AutoCAD could refer to all the file formats that Navisworks can)? Put another way, I guess I'm trying to gauge how Navisworks would best be involved in the design workflow.

Senior Software Engineer
Navisworks
Autodesk Ltd.
Message 8 of 28
ben.furness

Thanks Jeff. My idea is to get the info off the nwd format so that I can use it for visualistaion purposes by adding other items, components etc. I'll try posting it up on the AutoCAD forum and see what comes along.

I understand the 'review' part of the Navisworks program, it's just a little frustrating that the info can't easily be extracted but the I guess that's the point!

cheers
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous

Navisworks is really designed to be an "end point" application; that is, things
make their way into Navisworks. Exporting from Navisworks would be for things
like clash detection reports, JPGs and AVIs of viewpoints, and so on.

Although you can do some fairly impressive renderings in Navisworks, too. Then
you can export the rendering to an image and post-edit it in Photoshop or
something similar.

Matt
matt@stachoni.com

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 02:13:51 -0700, ben.furness@novumstructures.co.uk <> wrote:

>Thanks Jeff. My idea is to get the info off the nwd format so that I can use it for visualistaion purposes by adding other items, components etc. I'll try posting it up on the AutoCAD forum and see what comes along.
>
>I understand the 'review' part of the Navisworks program, it's just a little frustrating that the info can't easily be extracted but the I guess that's the point!
>
>cheers
Message 10 of 28

Well, I'm in the plant business and NavisWorks is great (and better than AutoCAD) in converting data from many applications toghether into one model. Part of the plant may be done in PDS, others parts in PDMS or AutoPlant and we can all put them toghether and view them toghether (including their properties) toghether with some special equipments modelled by their manufacturers in Inventor, SolidWorks etc..
And together with Tekla structures and point clouds.

What now if I had to model a small thing in this combined model.
A job perfect for AutoCAD Plant 3D, or even AutoCAD 3D or other verticals on AutoCAD.
If I could reference to an NWD (including Snap), AutoCAD does not need any special "add ons" for Point Clouds or special "3D converters" for all the other Plant or Building applications that are in use world wide.

Now I have to model it blindly, then open NavisWorks to see if I have moddeled it correctly or not,
switch back to AutocAD to do some modifications, Reload the DWG in Navisworks...

So if the NavisWorks kernel could also be a plug-in for AutoCAD, (we only need the Freedom functionality inside AutoCAD)
all it's verticals could reference NWD files and model with "the thing next door" visible, which is very much time saving while designing.

Another functionality that NavisWorks is missing, (the only thing missing compairing to SmartPlant Review) is the possibility to have a Line Drawing (Continous lines and Hidden Lines) of a View or a Section of a model.
I our case, we need to deliver floor plans of each floor, with the location of the Equipments, but the steelwork is in Tekla Structures and the Equipments are in different other applications...

Instead of converting them twice (once to NWC and once to DWG) a single conversion to NWC would do.
Message 11 of 28

Hi, I'm reading this thread and still not very sure on the answer to the original question.

Can Navisworks convert to dwg or dxf?

I'm a 3dsMax user and am looking to import files for rendering and animation, and have no idea about Navisworks' exporting capabilities.
I have acces to the exported PDS model, along with .nwd files, and I can request export of any other formats available.

Max can import;
FBX, 3ds, DWG, DXF, DAE, IGES, OBJ, SKP

Thanks for any input.

Alan
Message 12 of 28
richardparker

Hi Alan,
Navisworks 2011 will allow you to export to FBX format, which offers you an interop path with MAX.
Best regards,
Richard
Message 13 of 28

Thanks Richard, that will make my life a lot easier.
Message 14 of 28
Dumfatnhappy

I have 2012 Navisworks Manage which will export a DWFx, DWF and FBX but have yet to successfuly import either into Acad

Message 15 of 28
Dumfatnhappy
in reply to: Dumfatnhappy

wow,  responded to my own thread I started in 09.....   WHO KNEW..    !        Smiley Surprised

Message 16 of 28
Tim.West
in reply to: WatsonAlan7507

A workflow to get dwf back into Revit, may also help you back into AutoCAD.

dwf open on Navisworks

export to fbx

Open in 3DS Max (unless AutoCAD can open fbx)

export to sat(acis)

acis into AutoCAD

This is crude, yet gives you a geometric framework to generate additional geometry. Revit output dwf that aligns with the original dwf in Navisworks. I'm not sure if AutoCAD is the same.

Good Luck

Message 17 of 28
Jeweler
in reply to: Tim.West

try convert it to

- fbx

- then to dxf (using dxf converter, free at autodesk)

- open your dxf in autocad

- then save as dwg

Ive been doing this for sometime now but it seems limited. cant convert fbx to dxf when file is too big.

Message 18 of 28
ser_gio23
in reply to: Jeweler

Hi I am new to this.
If I could help with the following: I have a model in NWD and want to see it on my tablet. As I can do?
I'll be very grateful for your help
Message 19 of 28
TonyDDao
in reply to: JeffH_ADSK

Hi Jeff.

This is a rather old post. but still remain relavant.

What if there is a 3rd Party Naviswork 2014 Addon that promissed to export NWD to DWG + Xdata.

(I am saying if because i don't want to name the software)

On one hand this tells me to go and get it before it's gets pull off the shelves.

The other say.

Stop distributing NWD and use it to share our design.

Regards.

Message 20 of 28
ibodclay
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

I do not if this would help you guys, but the way I've been doing it is by isolating what you need in NavisWorks

and then Export it to FBX File (you need the full version of NavisWorks) then converting the FBX file into DXF.

Hope this helps 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report