Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clipped Point Cloud Displayed Unaltered

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
AdvancedCM
1111 Views, 4 Replies

Clipped Point Cloud Displayed Unaltered

I have a FARO point cloud laser scan of a building interior which I attached in AutoCAD 2013. The roof decking is visible and I need to remove it and place the point cloud in Navisworks Manage 2013. I used the clipping cube an eliminated the roof decking, saved it as a DWG and opened it in NW but the entire point cloud is visible, including the roof deck. I also tried to create a block of the clipped cloud and save it with WBLOCK but the same thing happened. When I open the DWG in ACAD it looks fine. Is there a way to permanently delete a clipping from the point cloud? Or have NW display only the points not clipped?

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You need Faro Scene, Faro Scene LT (freeware) or something like Pointools Edit to open an entire cloud and save ony a part of it as a new cloud.

Maybe you can ask the laserscanning firm to provide you the clipped cloud as a service.

Message 3 of 5

Thanks. I was afraid this might be the answer. I expected Autodesk 2013 to have this kind of capability. I guess Bentley's Pointools is superior in this area.

Message 4 of 5
MatthiasKoksch
in reply to: AdvancedCM

If you want to edit the point cloud data set within AutoCAD you can also use some 3rd party applications like kubit PointCloud/PointSense.

Message 5 of 5
eski
in reply to: AdvancedCM

I too ran into this problem in while attaching a FARO cloud into .dwg.  I used the ACAD built in clipping boxes to "crop" out portions of my cloud.  This looked right in ACAD but when inserted into Navisworks, the clipping was not converted.  It would be nice if this functionality worked.  Seems like Autodesk has a ways to go before their baked in point cloud tools catch up to third party software.  It is odd that there isn't a setting withing the navisworks file readers to convert "clipped boundaries".  Seems like an obvious thing people would need to do.. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report